Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Delete Cells

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    81

    Unanswered: Delete Cells

    Is there a way to delete all the empty cells from a highlighted selection? (Assuming that the selection includes a number of rows and columns).

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh USA
    Posts
    203

    Re: Delete Cells

    Elaborate a little more. Do you want to 'clear' cells via VBA or simply delete rows or columns via right click?

    Originally posted by jacque427
    Is there a way to delete all the empty cells from a highlighted selection? (Assuming that the selection includes a number of rows and columns).
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    81
    Delete cells, like the right click function.

    But there are a few of them and not all are empty.

    I just want to delete the empty ones and shift the rest left.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh USA
    Posts
    203
    You can't delete individual cells, you can delete only rows or columns, which will renumber after the deletion (forumlas will auto correct).
    If you want to rearrange for active cells so that the layout is in a more logical format, you can 'cut and paste' your active cells to other locations in your spreadsheet. Of course to delete a row or column just right click on the column or row header and click delete.
    I'm just guessing at what it is you want to do.

    Originally posted by jacque427
    Delete cells, like the right click function.

    But there are a few of them and not all are empty.

    I just want to delete the empty ones and shift the rest left.
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    81
    I don't believe I was very clear...

    I'd like the cells to shift left, and just the ones that contain a value somewhere within the column.

    So if row AB contains a value, then B through AA should delete and AB move to the left (becoming B). And so on.

    I'm not at all concerned with values or anything like that.

    Would just like to make a bit of a somewhat tedious project easier for a person that is in no way computer literate.

    The spreadsheet is coming from an Access report that counts totals.

    I have attached a copy of an example so that someone may get a better idea of what I am trying to do.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh USA
    Posts
    203
    Yeah, now I see what your getting at. This can't be done easily, because deleting a column would mean that you lose info in cells below. This could be done via VBA code using a macro to fire it off or a sheet activation to fire it. Otherwise you'd simply have to cut and paste.
    But I'm going to leave this on my desktop and try to create a solution (I love challanges).


    Originally posted by jacque427
    I don't believe I was very clear...

    I'd like the cells to shift left, and just the ones that contain a value somewhere within the column.

    So if row AB contains a value, then B through AA should delete and AB move to the left (becoming B). And so on.

    I'm not at all concerned with values or anything like that.

    Would just like to make a bit of a somewhat tedious project easier for a person that is in no way computer literate.

    The spreadsheet is coming from an Access report that counts totals.

    I have attached a copy of an example so that someone may get a better idea of what I am trying to do.
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    81
    Alrighty then, thanks for giving it a shot.

    I'm no dummy, but it's got me stumped.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    81

    Got it!

    From another forum...

    Select Edit > Goto
    Choose Special...
    Click on Blanks
    Press OK
    Select Edit > Delete
    Click on Shift cells left
    Press OK

    I then recorded that into a macro.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •