Question Unanswered: create synonym problem

Hi, can anyone help me?

I am upgrading our Informix databases from 7.23.UC9 to IDS 9.30.UC4.
    Both run on Unixware 2 and 7 platforms respectively.

I use a shared memory connection (onipcshm) locally to each engine and a tcp connection (ontlitcp) between the two databases.

I have setup my /etc/services, /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.equiv and sqlhosts files with the correct connection information and I have validated this through dbaccess. I can connect through dbaccess to any database on each engine in either direction from 7.23 to 9.30 and also in the opposite direction.

However, when I try to create a synonym from 7.23 to a database on 9.30 the 7.23 engine hangs.

On running an onstat -g con I can see that the process on both servers are waiting on a "netnorm" response. This sits indefinately and the only way to cancel the process is to onmode -z the pid on the 9.30 server which causes the 7.23 engine to panic and drop.

I cannot understand why I can use dbaccess to connect but cannot create a synonym.

Can anyone suggest anything please ?

Thanks

Re: create synonym problem

Originally posted by gripper28
    Hi, can anyone help me?

I am upgrading our Informix databases from 7.23.UC9 to IDS 9.30.UC4.
    Both run on Unixware 2 and 7 platforms respectively.

I use a shared memory connection (onipcshm) locally to each engine and a tcp connection (ontlitcp) between the two databases.

I have setup my /etc/services, /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.equiv and sqlhosts files with the correct connection information and I have validated this through dbaccess. I can connect through dbaccess to any database on each engine in either direction from 7.23 to 9.30 and also in the opposite direction.

However, when I try to create a synonym from 7.23 to a database on 9.30 the 7.23 engine hangs.

On running an onstat -g con I can see that the process on both servers are waiting on a "netnorm" response. This sits indefinately and the only way to cancel the process is to onmode -z the pid on the 9.30 server which causes the 7.23 engine to panic and drop.

I cannot understand why I can use dbaccess to connect but cannot create a synonym.

Can anyone suggest anything please ?

Thanks
    Hi,

I'm looking for bugs and find the bug 96374 "SERVER HANGS WHEN ACCESSING A TABLE IN A 9.X SERVER FROM A 7.3 SERVER".
    Now, I suggest you that check long of DBSERVERALIAS.
    Remember that system catalogo tables in 9.x has been changes.

Gustavo.

Red face

Thanks for the quick response.

At least I know that I'm not missing something obvious.

I've tried a few things with the DBSERVERALIAS without success.

Thanks anyway.