Exclamation Unanswered: Help! Newbee - Old Clipper Programmer

I currently use clipper to continue developing an old system. Most of our systems are DOS terminals but we do have several windows systems on the network. I want to update or convert from clipper but I can't seem to find a clear cut choice and procedure(s) to go with. I never was much good at linking and compiling so sometimes it all looks greek to me. What system does most of the community use when they upgrade or convert from clipper?

All help is greatly appreciated.

TIA

Jeff M.

The last version of Clipper i worked with was Summer '87. But from that version, the move to FoxPro was quite straight-forward.
    I now use FoxPro windows (support legacy systems) and Visual FoxPro (new developement). About a half-n-half ratio. Of course I'm prejudiced, but there isn't a better or easier to use platform for database manipulation, when you're already familiar with how they tick.
    DSummZZZ

Even more Fox stuff at
    www.davesummers.net/foxprolinks.htm

But what about all this clipper code???

Can I just recompile all my code (200,000 lines) and all we go!?

Depending on what version, maybe.
    Like I said, the last version i used was Summer '87. Even at that time, there were some built-in functions that would not directly convert to Fox functions. Not a lot, but a few. The code I have seen for the newer versions of Clipper is way different than Fox.
    Any conversion is a huge project, so if you're going to change platforms, no matter which you go with it's going to take some time and work.

Here's another good place to look for getting your questions answered:
    www.tek-tips.com

There are FoxPro 2.x, Visual FoxPro, Clipper ... forums as well as many others.
    DSummZZZ

Even more Fox stuff at
    www.davesummers.net/foxprolinks.htm

Exclamation

Hi,
    I suggest to use Alaska Software's Xbase++
    www.alaska-software.com

Xbase++ fully support Clipper features plus Object Programming and you can develop state-of-the-art GUI applications, true 32-bit Windows applications.

I can help you in the migration.

Bye

Re: Help! Newbee - Old Clipper Programmer

Originally posted by oldbuickparts
    I currently use clipper to continue developing an old system. Most of our systems are DOS terminals but we do have several windows systems on the network. I want to update or convert from clipper but I can't seem to find a clear cut choice and procedure(s) to go with. I never was much good at linking and compiling so sometimes it all looks greek to me. What system does most of the community use when they upgrade or convert from clipper?

TIA

Jeff M.

Hello there, another old dinasaur here.
    I've blundered onto this site looking for some info/help with some old clipper programs I am still trying to support.

My background.

I was employed as a computer engineer in the 70's. In the 80's I started my own business maintaining and selling office equipment. By the mid 80's I found that there was a real need for someone to supply bespoke programs for many of the folks that I was meeting.
    Most of my customers were small local businesses and they could not afford the ridiculous prices that the big software houses were quoting.
    I had been taught a small amount of programming as part of my training as an engineer. I stumbled upon Dbase2, discoverd that I could do what most of what my customers wanted and sell myself to them for a fraction of the prices being asked by others.

Went to DB3, DB3 Compiler and then to Clipper. I wrote some pretty good stuff even though I say it myself.

1990 struck down by MS. Moved a long way away and crawled into a hole and waited to die.
    10 years later I came out of my hole to find that many of my old customers were still using the programs but were worried about the millenium bug. I discovered that I could work via modem.
    Got past 2000 with no real problems and now I have started doing small jobs again.
    I am now feeling my way through Windows ME and find that all my old programs still work even with XP, although I don't like it much.
    When I bowed out I was still trying to find my way through 3.11

Anyway my email if you want to talk to me is -

dandylion@onetel.net.uk

Allan

Re: Help! Newbee - Old Clipper Programmer

Originally posted by oldbuickparts

TIA

Jeff M.
    I worked with Clipper up through 5.2. Coverted everything to Delphi. Started with Delphi 1, now using Delphi 6. No VB for me, original VB could not create an EXE, who needs the run time engine garbage. Besides, Gates has enough of my money from his system upgrade crap.