Unanswered: SQL Server linked server to Oracle

I am trying to set up a linked server to Oracle in SQL 2000 server. I set it up on my local instance of SQL and it worked fine. On our production SQL Server, I get the following error: Error 7399 OLEDB Provider MSDAORA reported an error. When I trace it in Profiler, I get the following information: OLE/DB Provider 'MSDAORA' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005:. The production box is running Windows 2000, MDAC 2.7. I have also installed the Oracle client tools on the SQL box. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Re: SQL Server linked server to Oracle

Have you set up the Oracle Network configuration information (TNSNAMES.ORA)?

Can you verify connectivity to Oracle from the SQL Server through another tool (SQL Plus or just create a DSN connection through ODBC administration)?

Regards,

hmscott

Originally posted by khuehne
    The production box is running Windows 2000, MDAC 2.7. I have also installed the Oracle client tools on the SQL box. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Reboot after the Oracle client is installed will do it. I went through this a couple of times in the past. If reboot does not solve, please let us know. there are some registry settings that need to be set. And I will send across that info.

- sbaru
    Originally posted by khuehne
    I am trying to set up a linked server to Oracle in SQL 2000 server. I set it up on my local instance of SQL and it worked fine. On our production SQL Server, I get the following error: Error 7399 OLEDB Provider MSDAORA reported an error. When I trace it in Profiler, I get the following information: OLE/DB Provider 'MSDAORA' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005:. The production box is running Windows 2000, MDAC 2.7. I have also installed the Oracle client tools on the SQL box. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Look at this KB article. This should help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

- cbarus

Originally posted by sbaru
    Reboot after the Oracle client is installed will do it. I went through this a couple of times in the past. If reboot does not solve, please let us know. there are some registry settings that need to be set. And I will send across that info.

- sbaru

I ended up removing and then re-installing the Oracle client tools and it worked fine. Thanks for the help!