Unhappy Unanswered: db2 6.1 to 8.1 migration and data integrity

We are in the process of migrating our 6.1 DB to 8.1. Our company is a medical supplier and we are under tight FDA regulation. Our quality department wan't us to formulate a test case to that requires us to randomly compair data from random table's to ensure that our data will remain undamaged in the process.

I would like to find a method that would be a little more percise that just flipping a coin and picking table's and row's to ensure that our data is correct.

My question is:

Could someone recomend some methods that would help me in this matter. I would love to be able to check all the data but that may be tough to do and we are on a time basis. We will have to shut the whole plant down to perform this migration.

Thanks for your help.

Re: db2 6.1 to 8.1 migration and data integrity

Hi,

if the database is small enough, you can export all the user tables to files, sort records alphabetically and do an operating system diff on the files.

If you are able to work the system tables you can actually generate the commands needed quite easily. Have a close look at SYSCAT.TABLES where TYPE='T'.

Johann

Originally posted by ronnier38930
    We are in the process of migrating our 6.1 DB to 8.1. Our company is a medical supplier and we are under tight FDA regulation. Our quality department wan't us to formulate a test case to that requires us to randomly compair data from random table's to ensure that our data will remain undamaged in the process.

I would like to find a method that would be a little more percise that just flipping a coin and picking table's and row's to ensure that our data is correct.

My question is:

Could someone recomend some methods that would help me in this matter. I would love to be able to check all the data but that may be tough to do and we are on a time basis. We will have to shut the whole plant down to perform this migration.

Thanks for your help.

db2move or db2look

Hi,

Depending on the size of your database you can go ahead and evaluate using db2look or db2move. These are preferred methods of migrating databases.

Cheers

nitin.

Re: db2move or db2look

Hi,

the question was how to verify table contents after migration.

Johann
    Originally posted by nitingm
    Hi,

Depending on the size of your database you can go ahead and evaluate using db2look or db2move. These are preferred methods of migrating databases.

Cheers

nitin.

db2 look

Yes, the question was: How do I, after migration ensure that I have not lost any data after the migration. An output file would be nice or something. This is our first migration and we want to ensure that no rows are cut or missing after the migration.

Any help would be appreciated

Message file

Hi,

Just to add you log all the errors/messages in log files. That would let you know incase any data is rejected or there is a mismatch in the data.

For that you will have to export individual tables and import individual tables via batch files and log the command outputs in message files.

That's a huge effort but that is one of the best ways of verifying if data has loaded properly.

Nitin.
    HTH

Nitin

Ask the experienced rather than the learned