Thread: javascript

Talking Unanswered: javascript

hi..

hw do i use javascript to do a form and submit it as well?

cheers

Here's a JS script example that shows the difference between the
    JS "substring()" and "substr()" functions. I suggest you visit the
    Web Developer's forum for extended JS/Web Dev use. Its at:
    http://forums.webdeveloper.com and "pick your poison"...

PHP Code:
    <html>
    <
    head>
    <
    script type="text/javascript">
      function 
    showResults(form) {
        var 
    objValue form.myText.value;
        var 
    one parseInt(form.firstArg.value);

if (
    objValue.length == 0) {

alert("Error:  An entry in the \"Enter String\" field must be provided.");
        }
        else {
          if (
    form.firstArg.value.length == 0) {

alert("Error:  A numeric value in the \"Arg 1\" field must be provided.");
          }
          else {
            var 
    two = (form.secondArg.value.length == 0) ? form.myText.value.length parseInt(form.secondArg.value);

alert("JavaScript Substring Results\n " +

"Substring: " objValue.substring(one,two) + "\n" +

"Substr:  "   objValue.substr(one,two));
          }
        }
      }

function 
    numbersOnly(evt) {

evt = (evt) ? evt event;
        var 
    charCode = (evt.charCode) ? evt.charCode : ((evt.keyCode) ? evt.keyCode : ((evt.which) ? evt.which 0));
        if ((
    charCode >= 48 && charCode <=57) || charCode == || charCode == || charCode == 13) {
          return(
    true);
        }
        else {
          return(
    false);
        }
      }
    </script>
    </head>
    <body>
    <center>
    <font color="blue"><b>Javascript Substring() vs Substr() Function Test</b></font><p>
    <form>
    <b>Enter String</b>
    <input type="Textfield" name="myText"    size="30" length="100">
    &nbsp;&nbsp;<b>Arg 1</b>
    <input type="Textfield" name="firstArg"  size="5"  length="5" onkeypress="return numbersOnly(event)">
    &nbsp;&nbsp;Arg 2
    <input type="Textfield" name="secondArg" size="5"  length="5" onkeypress="return numbersOnly(event)">
    <p>
    <input type="Button" name="resultsBtn" value="Show Results" onClick="showResults(this.form)"><br>
    <font color="green"><i>(results will be depicted in an alert window)</i></font><br>
    </center>
    For this demonstration, if the second argument value is not provided, the length of the "entered" value shall
    be substituted.
    </form>
    <hr>
    <center>
    <font color="red"><b>Details</b></font><p>
    </center>
    Javascript strings are zero-based in that the first character element value is 0 (not 1).
    As an example, the string value of <b>String</b> has a length of five (5) characters; the first character,
    <b>S</b>, is at element position "0" and the last character, <b>g</b>, has an element position of "4".<p>

<ul>
    <li>The <b>substring()</b> function will extract a portion of a string depending upon the argument values provided.
    The first argument value indicates the inclusive starting position of the string while the value of the second
    argument marks the end position for the extraction <b>but does not include</b> that particular character.
    This function is most commonly used in Javascript and typically the value of the 1st argument is <i>always</i>
    less then the 2nd argument.  When this rule is violated, Javascript will correct by switching the argument
    values implicitly.  If both argument values are equal, the result will produce an empty string.<p>

<li>The <b>substr()</b> function also extracts a portion of a string however the argument values may produce a
    different value subset then the more commonly used "substring()" function.  The first argument value indicates
    the inclusive starting position of the string while <b>the value of the second argument extracts that number
    of characters</b>.  In other words, the second argument value is used to indicate the amount of characters to be
    extracted from the original string.<p>
    </ul>
    </body>
    </html>