Exclamation Unanswered: ORA-12571: TNS: packet writer failure

Hello all!

When attempting to connect to an Oracle database from my workstation, I receive the following error:

ORA-12571: TNS: packet writer failure

The Oracle server is on a Unix box and my workstation is windows 2000 with the oracle client installed. When I open up SQL Plus and try to authenticate onto one of the Oracle databases, I get the above error immediately. There is no pause. It is as if the connection is rejected the very instant I submit my credentials.

There are other PCs on my subnet are of the same OS, build, and oracle client version. I can log onto Oracle from any one of them. Overall, we have several Oracle servers and my PC will not connect to any of them, but all of the other workstations on the network can indeed access all of them. Incidentally, I used to be able to create connections to all of the Oracle servers from my workstation up to a couple weeks ago, when this error started. Since then, I have not been able to connect to any of the Oracle boxes from my workstation.

I have tried copying the same SQLNET.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA files from known good workstations over to my workstation in order to see if that would fix the problem, but that has not worked. I know that I am not behind a firewall and neither are any of the other workstations that CAN open up an oracle connection. I have also tried reinstalling the Oracle client several times, (I ensured that I deleted any orphan registry keys after each uninstall so that I could get a clean installation) but this did not work either. Otherwise, I can ping the Oracle server so I know that I can at least get to it.

I read the a couple of other threads on the same issue and none of the options and fixes outlined have helped. I am open to suggestions at this point as I do not know what else to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1

Minneapolis, MN
    Hi cfetzer,

Can you be able to perform TNSPING?

MS Computer Science
    OCP DBA 9i/8i