Unanswered: Change arch_log_dest, move all archive logs?

I changed the destination of my archive log destination.
    Should I move all the previous archived logs to the new location or does oracle know where my old path was?

I am assuming I should move all the archived logs to the new destination.

Also, what if I change the naming format? Should I then change the name format of all the old archived logs?
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Hi DUck,

(1) Should I move all the previous archived logs to the new location or does oracle know where my old path was?

Answer:

If you are perforing Automatic recovery, then I am Sorry but oracle will look in to the destination specified in init.ora. So it will not work.
    In this case, you have to perform manual Recocery with FROM option and specify your Old destination First. After it applies all the files, again perform same Recovery with the new Destination. So this way you can have all the Archieved files applied to your dataabase during recovery.

So better way is that you move all the files to new Dest to minimise Admin tasks.

(2) what if I change the naming format? Should I then change the name format of all the old archived logs?

Answer:
    If you perform automatic Recovery, then All the files Must have same naming convention. If you have diferent Format, then you can use Manual Recovry which definately increase your work.

For more information on automaic and manual recovery, Please Read Oracle Documents.

Thanks
    Bhavin

MS Computer Science
    OCP DBA 9i/8i

thanks.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...