Unanswered: Using form to enter memo field info into existing record

I thought I was doing somehting simple. I have a table with a number of fields including a couple memo fields. Intially there will be no informaiton in the memo fields. I want to put together a form to look at the records and then add text to some of the memo fields one record at a time.

I put together a form with the wizard, however, I can select a record but I cannot enter any characters into the memo field on the form.

What's going on.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Using form to enter memo field info into existing record

Originally posted by tmort
    I thought I was doing somehting simple. I have a table with a number of fields including a couple memo fields. Intially there will be no informaiton in the memo fields. I want to put together a form to look at the records and then add text to some of the memo fields one record at a time.

I put together a form with the wizard, however, I can select a record but I cannot enter any characters into the memo field on the form.

What's going on.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I don't normally use the Wizards so I'm no expert at what you're prompted for... but I'd check the properties of the text boxes you're trying to enter data in on your form... Check that Enabled is Yes and Locked is No...

The recordset for your form is coming from the table right?... I ask because some queries are not updatable so if one of those were the record source I'd get you to check that it's an updatable recordset...

HTH

Another thing... Check the Form properties and make sure that you have Allowed Edits as well...

Originally posted by Trudi
    Another thing... Check the Form properties and make sure that you have Allowed Edits as well...
    I'm actually basing the form on a select query. I thought dynasets were updatable. All the things you mentioned were as mentioned???

Originally posted by tmort
    I'm actually basing the form on a select query. I thought dynasets were updatable. All the things you mentioned were as mentioned???
    Okay... Here's a test...
    If you can actually get your cursor on the text box... start typing something in there and look to the bottom left of the Access window... the status bar... Tell me if it says something like "This recordset is not updatable..." as you try to type...

Dynasets are updatable... It's been so long since I added a type argument to my OpenRecordset statements Shhhhh!... lol... that I'm not sure if you actually could put the name of a query that isn't updatable into your OpenRecordset statement and call it a dynaset... without getting a run-time error... Hmmmm...

Easiest thing to do is check that you're not doing grouping or anything in the query... Any totals or grouping of the underlying table makes it not an updatable recordset...

Tell you what... Can you copy the SQL for your query to here so that we can check it out?

It was a select query that was filtering. Apparenlty that type of query isn't updatable.

I linked the form direct to the table and am filtering by form. This actually will work a little better for my purpose anyway.

Thanks