I need to use SQL Loader inorder to convert date available in MS EXCEL into ORACLE.
I havent used SQL Loader software till now. I dont know where this software is located or whether it is a utility software that comes along with TOAD or SQL PLUS or whether i must download or buy this software ?
Pls suggest me the best way to transfer the data in EXCEL to ORACLE.
SQL*Loader is installed by default. It is a command line utility, so you cannot run from within SQL*Plus or other GUI. The command is sqlldr [direct=y|n] param1 param2 param3 ...
You should save the Excel spreadsheet as a comma separated value file (.csv) and create a SQL*Loader control file that knows the name of your .csv file and how to parse the data. See the Oracle documentation on "Utilities".
1. rename "A.xls" into "A.csv"
clarifications reqd: is renaming alone enough as above?
2. when you say that it is a command line utility - are you referring to running from the command prompt say:
if so, i get the message command not found....
if not, please pass on the correct way..
Sorry for the inconvenience but being a newbee i am finding it a bit too hard to understand the steps involved
3. Oracle documentation for UTILITIES:
clarification: could you pls provide me the URL where i can find it?
i am overwhelmed by the details i see when i type oracle utilities in google. Please help!
1. Open in excel. DO as 'save as'. In file type, selected 'comma separated'.
2. Check in bin folder of oracle installation. Do you have en exe with the name sqlldr. If not, you need to installl sql loader.
- Other than the sql-loader installed on your PC and data file in form of CSV, you need to create a control file. This file specifies the table name and column names in which you want to insert from this data-file. This control file is one of the required parameters for SQLLDR