Unanswered: Table datatype and indexes?

I'm trying to add an index to a Table datatype, inside of a stored procedure, but I receive an error 'Incorrect syntax near '@temp1''.

We were originally using standard temp tables(#temp1) in our stored procedures, until we discovered a huge amount of lock timeouts on tempdb. We changed the SPs to use the Table datatype instead, which cured the locking problem, but we couldn't figure out how to add the indexes.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Rob

You cannot create any indexes on table variables. The only idexes allowed are the ones created because of the Primary Key and Unique key constraints. This is one of the limitations of table variable Vs temp table.

I don't know if you can...

YOu can do this, which I think might create an index

DECLARE @myTable99 TABLE (Col1 int IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, Col2 char(1), Col3 int)

But a temp table's data is usually scanned...so you wouldn't incur any benefit anyway..

Besides, temp tables shouldn't be holding large volumes of data

Can't you make a physical work table if you're pushing around that much data?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

You can't create an index, but you can define PRIMARY KEY at the time of declaring the table.