Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help Me

Unanswered: Please Help Me

I am a student trying to do some research for a class project. I am running Oracle 8i enterprise and we are working with PL/SQL.
    I am supposed to Develope a hierarchial diagram that shows how all views work then take the main 50 views and write down information about the views. I am having trouble finding any information.
    Any information that anyone could give would be greatly helpful.

THank in advance

desc user_views

or

PHP Code:
    Select  
    distinct obj
    .object_name
    obj.status  
    from ALL_OBJECTS obj  
    where obj
    .object_type 'VIEW' and 
    obj.owner owner_name 
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

that won't work, user_views does not return anything in need a full list of dba_views but i can not get PL/SQL to have a big enough screen to list them all, all 1481 of them.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >I am supposed to Develope a hierarchial diagram that shows how all
    >views work then take the main 50 views and write down information
    >about the views. I am having trouble finding any information.
    HUH?
    Only Views?
    Not tables, too?
    A single hierachical diagram?
    What happens when certain a view has NO hierachical relationship to any other view?
    What "shows how all views work " mean?
    Based upon what criteria are the "main 50 views " selected?
    In order to "write down information about the views", you need a mauve database.
    Where have you looked?
    Did you go to http://tahihi.oracle.com where Oracle keeps online copies of all their database manuals?
    Which Fine Manuals have you read?

Originally posted by stang
    that won't work, user_views does not return anything in need a full list of dba_views but i can not get PL/SQL to have a big enough screen to list them all, all 1481 of them.
    I agree with Anacedent here.
    You should at least know how to configure sql*plus and spool data to a file.

If you do not know this information at this point, then I would get back to basics regarding configuring readable output/reports.
    - The_Duck

More or less i am triyng to make a diagram listing all the views in their groups and then take the Main 50 and write what they do

i was looking for a site that would have the views already grouped like a group of user_, all_, etc.

the DBA_* views are a superset of ALL_* views which is a superset of USER_* views.
    There are many, many other views which do NOT fall into any the the "groups" listed above.
    Upon what quantifiable criteria are the "main 50" determined?

I was just told to find the 50 most used views and the groups i am looking for are more than the three listed thats what i am trying to find out the other goupings they would fall into

>I was just told to find the 50 most used views
    Used by who for what?
    Exactly how will you know that you've succeeded or satisfied the requirement?

The assignment just said that we would be able to research and find out, which of the 1481 are the most important views and find out what they due when queried

Originally posted by stang
    The assignment just said that we would be able to research and find out, which of the 1481 are the most important views and find out what they due when queried
    that is hilarious!
    Why?
    Because it is totally dependent upon if/when/how you use the views (if you use them at all). Are you referring to the most used by ORACLE, or the most used by a specific user or what?

This is also dependent upon what Oracle Options you have installed. If I were running Oracle Clusters, then those views would be dramitically more important to ME vs. other views. Same with partitioning, or whatever. You see where I am going with this.

It sounds like you have been requested to find the DICTIONARY VIEWS and to come up with a list of the most VALUABLE/USEFUL. That is the only thing I can possibly come up with that would even slightly make sense. Still, a vague and impossible assignment. Perhaps it is one of those "No answer is wrong" situations.
    Last edited by The_Duck; 12-18-03 at 11:23.
    - The_Duck

As far as i found out we are supposed to ask around and find out what people think are the 50 best views to use in their opinion

do they want the synonym name or the view?

v$session is a synonym to the v_$session view

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM dba_objects WHERE
    object_type = 'VIEW';

you could take any 50 of the 200+ v$/v_$ views and you would be fine in my opinion. Not to mention anything to do with statistics and any of the 'ALL_%' views and (I could go on and on).
    Code:
    set linesize 1000
    set pagesize 100
    spool c:\all_objects.txt
    SELECT * FROM dba_objects WHERE 
    object_type = 'VIEW' 
    ORDER BY object_name;
    spool off;
    Better yet download TOAD, install, and do the select.
    Then r-click, save as an xls file, edit to your viewing preferences.
    - The_Duck

Here is a website I use all the time when I need to look up the name of a data dictionaty view that I have forgotten. Maybe it will help.

http://www3.ca.com/Images/ShockwaveF...e9i_poster.swf

As for the most used views. I would imagine that the V$ views get used a lot as a lot of gui tools hit those views to return data to the user. Gui tools also hit the ALL_ / DBA_ / USER_ views when presenting schema objects

ie Toad a very popular tool ( my all time fav ) uses the

V$session, V$Open_Cursors, V$Sess_Io, V$Process, V$Lock, V$SqlText views when you use the session window to show what processes are currently running in the database

User_Objects, User_Tab_Columns, User_Views, and my others when you use the Schema Browser to view database objects.

HIH