Unanswered: awe enabled but still has dynamic memory set

The main reason for these questions is each time I view the propery page for this instance I get and error generated in the event log => 1 Configuration option \'show advanced options\' changed from 1 to 1 <= and even though it is a warning it wasn't there before the awe memory was changed.

The dedicated s2k machine has 8GB of memory. AWE has been enabled, and max server memory set to 5120 (this is a clustered instance and the second machine only has 6 Gb. More is on order). When viewing properties for the instance it shows memory as being dynamic with max server memory = 5120.

Should the memory be set to something other than dynamically managed?

I confirmed the settings via sp_configure and AWE is enabled and memory is 5120... And perf mon shows target memory as around 5120 so it looks like things are set correctly. But the dynamically configure sql memory is still selected.

So is that an issue?

Thanks for any input.

Mike

Re: awe enabled but still has dynamic memory set

Mike,

Set the memory to fixed when you use AWE. This way SQL won't have extend the memory whenever it needs it. It will save you some overhead.

Re: awe enabled but still has dynamic memory set

I was plan on making the change but was looking for some doco from Bill 1st.

Thanks for the response!!

Mike