Unanswered: Differential backup!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to take differential backup from server and transfer to other server. both having same data structure.

but only differential could not possible to restore.

is there any other way to pdate only the todays updates

prince

Sounds like you need to consider replication.

Originally posted by loach
    Sounds like you need to consider replication.
    but i don't know nothing about Replication
    could u plz explain, and what about DTS , can u suggest the optimized solution for the above

Provided Answers: 11
    Getting an optimized solution will be a bit difficult from a forum. We have no access to what is required, what your resources are, how much data is involved, etc., etc.. In order to set up two separate servers with the same data you will need to look up a couple of topics in the Books Online (installed with SQL Server), so you can understand the basic concepts, limitations of both. Look for Log Shipping and Replication. Both of these (when properly set up) can give you the desired result of a backup or reporting server, but replication (for instance) does not replicate stored procedures, and has trouble replicating other schema changes. Log shipping will give you a read-only copy of the database, but requires enterprise edition of SQL Server.

You can use either replication (transactional or snapshot), log shipping, or full db restore. With DTS, unless you want to wipe everything prior to re-populating your data, it may require quite a bit of coding.

If you decide to use Log Shipping, let me know. I compiled a document that outlines every step you need to do when setting up log shipping

Originally posted by rdjabarov
    You can use either replication (transactional or snapshot), log shipping, or full db restore. With DTS, unless you want to wipe everything prior to re-populating your data, it may require quite a bit of coding.

i am using SQL Server 7(standard). One server in US and other server in Bangalore. I just want to update each days transactions only.

and daily tranc. is max 1000 in one server. I went through both DTS and Replication. one doubt in DTS, is it possible to trasfer only each days transactions?.

and how complicated for setting up the replication.

thanks