Exclamation Unanswered: Search Access Records

I have a database that i have set up to run accounts for a small privatly owned bank. The problem i have encountered is that when modifications need to be made to a preexisting account searching through the records one by one is a major pain considering there are over 800 accounts/records (each account is a record). So what i want to implement is a search function of some sort. I just need to know the best way to do this in a user friendly way. Such as where they can supply input and click search and it bring them up the first account matching the criteria. I dont know if i need to do this through a query or a macro or what. Thanks for your help.

hi,
    maybe a page where they input there user name and then use a query like so

"select * from users where username = '" + username + "'"

this would do the job perfectly

what is meant by the "+ username +" syntax, could you explain that statement a litlte more in depth. I am mainly a network technician, this database stuff is not really my thing so you could consider me to not be as adept as most.

Provided Answers: 1
    There's actually quite a few ways to do this depending on what sort of functionality you'd like to implement here. Do you have any sort of interface setup, or are you working more or less with raw data only?

Yes i do have several forms that are the interface in which the user sees. The user actually never see's the tables, only these forms. Most of the people using this program are fairly computer illiterate.

If you're using forms, then the simplest method for searching would be to use a combo box. Combo boxes auto-complete, so they're fairly user friendly. You can then create a basic macro (or sub if you prefer) to scroll through your recordset(s) in the AfterUpdate event of the combo box.

can you give me some more details on the sub or macro i would have to create. I am not too elite in the access field, just enough to get by covers me lol. Thanks a lot

Originally posted by xtrolyte
    can you give me some more details on the sub or macro i would have to create. I am not too elite in the access field, just enough to get by covers me lol. Thanks a lot
    basically you could have a seperate combo box for search purposes only, then create a macro similar to the following, arguments are in parenthesis:

GoToControl (yourTxtboxToSearch)
    FindRecord(=[yourComboBox])

There are several samples available to do search. I'll attach a few samples

Originally posted by xtrolyte
    Attached Files Attached Files

heres another

and another