Thread: What is TNSPING

Unanswered: What is TNSPING

A couple of people have mentioned using TNSPING to troubleshoot SQL*Net problems. Excuse my ignorance please but what it a TNSPING? I am working at a site where PING has been disabled by the Firewall because of a previous virus attack. Whenever I have connectivity problems I am left guessing about where the problem is in SQL*Net.

TNSPING is a utility that determines whether or not a service (for example, an Oracle database, an Oracle Names Server or any other Oracle service) on a Net8 network can be successfully reached.

If you can connect successfully from a client to a server (or a server to another server) using TNSPING, it displays an estimate of the round trip time (in milliseconds) it takes to reach the Net8 service.

If it fails, it displays a message describing the error that occurred. This allows you to see the network error that is occurring without the overhead of a database connection.

I found it. I had looked for TNSPING in \ORANT\BIN. Since I am using 8.0.5.0.0 the utility is call TNSPING80. I had forgot to look for TNSPING*.* so I didn't find it. This just tells me that I am getting a TNS-12547 error which was the same error I got from SQL*Plus. At least this is a little easier.

Thanks.

Originally posted by aknoble
    I found it. I had looked for TNSPING in \ORANT\BIN. Since I am using 8.0.5.0.0 the utility is call TNSPING80. I had forgot to look for TNSPING*.* so I didn't find it. This just tells me that I am getting a TNS-12547 error which was the same error I got from SQL*Plus. At least this is a little easier.

Thanks.
    like ping (finding an online service) used from the command-line (and not SQL*Plus - i mean OS Command-line):

> ping www.redhat.com

u can use tnsping to see if an oracle service is up and running - say for example we have an instancce called oracle_instance.eu.reuters.com - we can ping it...

> tnsping oracle_instance.eu.reuters.com

So if we ping the server first, and we get a reply, then the server is ok... then we tnsping the instance, if we get a reply, the database is up...
    rgs,

Ghostman