Unanswered: Patches for Oracle 8i Release 3(8.1.7)

Im really new on this, and I need desesperately someone's help
    We have the Oracle version 8.1.7, and I have heard that there are some severe security problems on this. Would anyone be so kind to tell me which is the proper patch for fixing it?
    Is it 8.1.7.4? Which are the functions of it? Are there problems installing it?
    I will be pleased if someone answer me, at least, 1 of these questions.

Thank you in advance.

the patchset 8.1.7.4 is the final major patchset for oracle 8i as it is running out of support shortly (aktually it had been prolonged to the end of 2005)
    depending on your platform their may be some minor patches that fix some specific leaks ...

follow the readme instructions for your platform take before images and you shouldn't run into trouble ...

I don't think I had any problems installing this patch which I did many times.
    The platform at the time was Win2k.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

I agree with the top 2 responses... 8.1.7.4 is pretty stable and fixed some of the bugs in earlier releases... I had no problems with the
    installation, BUT as with any change ( YOUR DATA IS ONLY AS GOOD AS YOU LAST GOOD BACKUP !!!!)

hth
    Gregg

Hello,

We are shortly going to apply thsi patchset to prevent SHared Pool Memory Error.
    Our OS is Sun V880 Solaris 5.8.
    Has anyone installed patch for thsi OS and what are the precautions to be taken.

How much time is taken, where can I download this aptch from. Do I need this aptch on client machines too or just on the server.

Thanks for the information.

Reema

Originally posted by gbrabham
    I agree with the top 2 responses... 8.1.7.4 is pretty stable and fixed some of the bugs in earlier releases... I had no problems with the
    installation, BUT as with any change ( YOUR DATA IS ONLY AS GOOD AS YOU LAST GOOD BACKUP !!!!)

hth
    Gregg

boy oh boy.

You can only download it from Metalink so I hope you have an account.
    Follow the patch documentation and you should be fine.
    No worries.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...