Unanswered: 9i Windows XP Pro Installation

Hi all. I'm in the middle of an install of Oracle 9i (9.2.0.1.0) (P4 2GHz, 512M XP Pro) I downloaded all 3 zips and extracted them to a cdr. I ran the setup.exe went through all the parameters like personal edition, standard install... It took about 15 minutes and it asked for disk2. I put in disk2 and hit go, and I've seen the status bar change from I think 27% to 31%, but now it's been sitting there for 30 minutes. The message says "Copying xsqlproxy.bat". The animated checkbox above the status bar is "rotating" so it doesn't appear to be hosed-up. I'm pretty sure I've seen the "Copying file" message change since putting in disk 2.

I wasn't very precise when unzipping the files to the CDR, is it better to copy them to the maachine you're installing on instead of from CD? Do they have to be in a certain directory structure?

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Download the Install docs.
    I suggest not running from a CD, but from the hard disk so unzip all the files onto your HD and then run appropriately.

Nothing special should be needed, but don't take my word for it, sometimes the install docs have important info for each platform.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

I always favour copying all oracle media to a staging area on disk

Angry Stopped

Yup, I copied all the files from the 3 zips to folders on the machine and tried the install again. Still dies at 31% :-(. When copying the files to the desktop I can't access one file, it says "Cannot copy lib 1.1: Cannot read from the source file or disk."! I've downloaded and extracted the files twice now with the same results.

I've installed quite a few programs over the past few years and can't remember one with as clumsy of an installer as Oracle. The installer will actually freeze the machine up for 10 or 20 seconds at a clip! I just installed IIS, ColdFusion MX, SQL Server, MySQL on this machine with no issues. P4 with a half a gig of ram should handle it right?

I haven't used Oracle really since version 8, but I remember that installer being quirky also.

I believe there is a P4 bug.
    You need to download the fix beforehand.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...