Unanswered: SQL 70 to 2000 Upgrade issues

I am planning to upgrade several of our servers, in place, from 70 to 2000, and I am interesting in identifying any possible issues which may occur as a result of the upgrade. Has anyone else experienced any problems, such as "connectivity issues", "compatibility issues", etc?

Search on microsoft's website.

This is the most common occurence that I had to handle:

link

My downfall was that buried in one of the databases to one of my custom apps somewhere was a column named "Function". That's a reserved word in SQL 2000.

Of course, if I had tested everything the way I should have, I would have found it before the upgrade. But it was one of the "lesser" apps and we weren't worried about it. Just goes to show you that it's the little things that bite you in the end.

There is somewhere a setting to emulate SQL 7.0 while running on a 2000 Server. 'Course, I didn't know about it back then.

Good luck,

hmscott

I have upgraded probably 70+ servers from MSSQL 7 to 2000 and never had any problems with the actual upgrades... the problems I always run into are like the one above... new reserved words (you can still use them in certain situations, but they have to be in quotes)

and probably the most annoying thing is having to switch double quotes to single quotes in alot of the scripts that I work with... frustrating

other than that it's not bad at all, whether you do an in place or use sp_help_revlogin and backup/restore... either is just as easy and smooth
    Last edited by drew; 12-19-03 at 17:21.
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com

I am surprised that noone has mentioned issues with the messages.sql script error.

Originally posted by rnealejr
    Search on microsoft's website.

This is the most common occurence that I had to handle:

link
    Thanks. I actually hit this problem when installing the service packs. I had the fortunate experience of working on another RDBMS which has the capability to be started in a mode which allows only system administrators; unlike SQL Server which starts up in (any user - first one in) single user mode. Maybe Yukon will be better. thanks again.