Thread: MDE in XP

Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: MDE in XP

I have Access XP, made a .mdb, now I want to convert it to a .mde version. The problem is, it appears grey in the Tools Menu, so that I can't click it. What should I do to get it work.

Thanks

I've had that problem, I'm guessing the following will help you out.

When converting an old database, Access XP has a default setting of converting to Access 2000 format. You'll find this setting under the Tools/Options Advanced tab.

When a database is in the Access 2000 format, Access XP prohibits the user from creating an MDE. So, use the tools/ Database Utilities/ Convert and bring it all the way to Access XP.

Merry Christmas!
    John
    This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Provided Answers: 1
    Originally posted by jpshay
    I've had that problem, I'm guessing the following will help you out.

When converting an old database, Access XP has a default setting of converting to Access 2000 format. You'll find this setting under the Tools/Options Advanced tab.

When a database is in the Access 2000 format, Access XP prohibits the user from creating an MDE. So, use the tools/ Database Utilities/ Convert and bring it all the way to Access XP.

Merry Christmas!
    Thank you for your reply, I converted it to Access 2002, then opend the converted .mdb file with Access XP, now I could convert it to a .mde file

Thanks again, have nice times and Merry Christmas

Thanks for the answer as I was wondering the same thing. I had to open my Access 2000 formated database in Access 2000 (even though it was modified in Access 2002) to create the .mde file.

But my guess is that an .mde file created by Access 2002 can't be used on a PC with only Access 2000 on it.
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips