Thread: BLOB Data

Unanswered: BLOB Data

I'm working on an application that will be inserting jpegs, bmp's, etc. into a database, and I have a couple of questions.

I've found a couple of samples on the web that use java and c. Was wondering if there was a way to just use a plain SQL INSERT statement to insert a BLOB. We're prototyping this on windows trhen moving to AIX. We're running Version 8, FP3.

Also, is it possible to UPDATE a BLOB column? For example, our application may have to initially create a row in a table without the BLOB. Then the application will later copme back to that row and insert the BLOB. Can you do a UPDATE TABLE_NAME SET BLOB_COLUMN = "jpeg file" where ID = 1.....

Hope this made sense. If not, please post any questions or advice you can offer.

Thanks!
    Anthony Robinson

"If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please - with sugar on top..."

Re: BLOB Data

I don't think an INSERT Statement will help ... May be you can consider IMPORTing if this will help ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by ansonee
    I'm working on an application that will be inserting jpegs, bmp's, etc. into a database, and I have a couple of questions.

I've found a couple of samples on the web that use java and c. Was wondering if there was a way to just use a plain SQL INSERT statement to insert a BLOB. We're prototyping this on windows trhen moving to AIX. We're running Version 8, FP3.

Also, is it possible to UPDATE a BLOB column? For example, our application may have to initially create a row in a table without the BLOB. Then the application will later copme back to that row and insert the BLOB. Can you do a UPDATE TABLE_NAME SET BLOB_COLUMN = "jpeg file" where ID = 1.....

Hope this made sense. If not, please post any questions or advice you can offer.

Thanks!
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

If I'm going to be doing this within an application (stored procedure), would I need to invoke some type of CLP shell? In SQLServer there is something called xp_cmdshell that allows you to invoke line commands. Is there a similar type of functionality within DB2? Or can you just invoke CLP commands within a stored procedure utilizing certain syntax?

Thanks!

...and Happy New Year...!
    Anthony Robinson

"If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please - with sugar on top..."