Thread: P4 Bug?

Unanswered: P4 Bug?

I've been reading for an hour and can't find anything I can understand about a pentium 4 bug. Specifically for WindowsXP. I see some stuff about solaris P4.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Please slowly back away from the keyboard.
    You obviously are not qualified to operate it.

http://www.dbforums.com/t513744.html

http://dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=329918

http://dbforums.com/arch/4/2002/9/513744

I found these in less than 5 minutes.
    GOOGLE is your Friend.

Fuck you!

Hey, fuck off dickhead.

Thanks

I apologize for flying off the handle. I threw that reply out before even reading the links. I'd like to point out though that we're on DbForums, not alt.insults :-)

I should have been more specific in my original post. I couldn't find any info specifically regarding 9i on P4. I had another thread going yesterday specifying what I was trying to install, but didn't explain it here.

Anyone know anything about installing 9i on a P4?

Re: Fuck you!

Originally posted by GregLuce
    Hey, fuck off dickhead.
    temper temper!

you'll get nothing out of these here fine oracle folks by getting your gun off! RTFM!
    rgs,

Ghostman

Greg,

I haven't installed a 9i on XP Pro, but a comment I've often seen is that prior to a re-install you should ensure that the previous install has been completely removed.

AIUI the Oracle de-installer can still leave registry entries, environment vars etc. After the de-install, manually clean up the registry, directories and environment vars.

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Unsatisfactory Installer

This installer Oracle has is completely unsatisfactory. I can't believe in the 3 years since version 8 the installation process hasn't improved. This rediculous.

Originally posted by billm
    Greg,

I haven't installed a 9i on XP Pro, but a comment I've often seen is that prior to a re-install you should ensure that the previous install has been completely removed.

AIUI the Oracle de-installer can still leave registry entries, environment vars etc. After the de-install, manually clean up the registry, directories and environment vars.

Hth
    Bill

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    The "problem" is not necessarily OUI.
    OUI does not have this problem on *nix systems.
    IMO, the problem is the Windoze registry.

Windows Install

I just mean I wouldn't release something and call it a windows version if it were this sloppy. Every other software package can figure out how to install on windows gracefully. I just think it's irresponsible to release something this sketchy. Just say you're a unix only application.

Originally posted by anacedent
    The "problem" is not necessarily OUI.
    OUI does not have this problem on *nix systems.
    IMO, the problem is the Windoze registry.

I hate Windows. I do not recommend person to use windows.

I Love Unix
    Bhavin

MS Computer Science
    OCP DBA 9i/8i

Hi All,

I thnk the probem is with expectations and of what the programmers could achieve.

You only have to look at "Real", a 200m a year company suing MS (a 10 billion+ company). I don't think it's an Oracle problem, more an MS 'solution'. That's why we don't see the problem on *nix.

Come on guys, how long before Larry sues Bill? All things considered, I think Oracle do a pretty good job of getting *anything* installed.

In the meantime, we're not helping Greg with his original problem :-)

Cheers
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Hi Anacedent,

I tried to send this message to you privately but you're configured to not receive private messages. I think to insult someone (regardless of the reason) and not take a private response is not fair.

What follows is my original Private Message to you prior to it being rejected.
    =====================================
    Subject: "How you doing?"

Hi Anacedent,

That phrase "how you doing" used to wind me up something chronic when I worked in Ireland, They actually mean it to say "Hello" and never expect a reply. I slowly learnt to live with it, and just "ask" back. In fact all we were doing was hello/hello, but we wasted 200 words doing it.... wierd????

You are clearly a knowledgable chap on Oracle, and there are not so many of you guys about. Each and everyone of you guys is appreciated. However, sometimes I see your responses and think "Oh God!".

I've done it too, when I've been a little abrasive in my response, and I wouldnt for one moment pretend that I haven't.

You are without doubt a valuable contributor to this board, I only develop on Oracle but you clearly know far more about DBA'ing and the internals. I agree whole heartedly the thing about "no Oracle version, no OS version" etc etc, "I don't have a Chrystal Ball".

While the content of your message always seems to be spot on, *may I suggest* that you consider the tone? This question may be the first ever posting to the outside world by the original poster.

I know that sounds really houghty toughty, but it is not meant to. I value every word of your contribution, if not always the tone. Given the choice between having you abrasively here and having you not here, I know which one I'd take.

Anyway, my kindest regards, I PM'd Greg earlier to say his respone was well off, and that you had given him links to valid answers. However, in my humble (beer addled) opinion your message warranted the reply you got.

I am not in charge here or anything, me just humble developer, but I do value everyone's input, and their questions no matter how dumb. If only because one day I might also ask a dumb question. If I get concerned about the response I might get, I won't ask. If too many people do that, this board will cease to exist.

Kindest Regards,
    Bill
    ====================================

Sorry chaps, this was meant as a private message to Anacedent. But if he won't take PM's I can only send it here. I think we've got a great forum which is free from the spam and flame wars of usenet - shouldn't we keep it that way?

Regards to all,
    Bill
    Last edited by billm; 12-20-03 at 20:58.

Re: P4 Bug?

Originally posted by GregLuce
    I've been reading for an hour and can't find anything I can understand about a pentium 4 bug. Specifically for WindowsXP. I see some stuff about solaris P4.
    I know that you have to clean the registry before you can re-install ... or you can boot into safe mode, delete the entire oracle directory after having deleted reg entries...

There is a P4 bug where the Oracle disc has to be copied to the harddrive first, one of the installation files has to be renamed, and the installation is then run from the harddrive... (refer to previous DBForums links for details...)

If your OUI appears and then just buggers off, and you have a P4, then it is probably the latter.

Oracle was originally designed for a *nix environment - if you are running it on windoze, use 2K...
    rgs,

Ghostman

down on the cube farm, left then right then another left
    2000 is not much better. I tried removing 8i and installing 9i and lots of "things" got left behind.

FYI - In a world where there are 2 sexes we should not expect to meet only one. This post has used many "Chaps", "hims", and "hes" in places that are not approporiate. You can always do a little research into who you are talking with. If nothing else you will view them more as a person and less as an object on the other side of the monitor. I agree about the abrasion issue. In a "community" we are stronger when we talk with instead of at.