Red face Unanswered: SQLServerAgent Startup Problem - Cluster

Hi There,

I'm a rookie to SQL and cluster. Please help me.

I've a problem with starting SQL Agent on our second node. Hence, no failover. SQL#1 start SQL Agent no problem but SQL#2 have problem starting SQLAgent.

Information:-
    *It's a Windows 2000 cluster
    *It's a Windows SQL Server Cluster
    *It's a Active/Passive (or failover) cluster
    *In SQL#2 event log. Event ID: 103 - SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: Unable to connect to server '(local)'; SQLServerAgent cannot start). Please see errors below.
    *In SQL Log. SQLServer Error: 18456, Login failed for user 'sa'. [SQLSTATE 28000]

Pretty sure the SA password is correct. Orderwise, SQL#1 wouldn't start.

Many Thanks In Advance.
    aeng

Event ID's:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ClusSvc
    Event Category: Services
    Event ID: 1069
    Date: 17/12/2003
    Time: 17:26:46
    User: N/A
    Computer: BBI_SQL2
    Description:
    Cluster resource 'SQL Server Agent' failed.

Event Source: SQLSERVERAGENT
    Event Category: Service Control
    Event ID: 103
    Date: 17/12/2003
    Time: 17:26:41
    User: N/A
    Computer: BBISQLCLUSTER
    Description:
    SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: Unable to connect to server '(local)'; SQLServerAgent cannot start).

Did you check ms's site - I seam to remember something about the agent and clustering ?

Thanks..... I had a look before but there are nothing really useful. If you come across it again can you please let me know.

Please help guys.......

What authentification are you using under the sql server agent ? Also, what service pack is currently installed ?

Also, what account is being used to start the agent service ? If it is sa, try to login as sa with the password through query analyzer - and if successful, then reenter the password.

Sorry - I've been on holiday. Happy new year to you.

- There are current NO SP installed on this cluster.
    - To start the agent service I use to a domain account. Because is a cluster.
    - To connect I use the SA account.
    - I have tried what you suggest. Go to SQL2 then connect using query analyzer. It has no problem connecting using SQL2
    - I have also retype the password in Enterprise and in Services.

This is the error in event log:
    Event Source: SQLSERVERAGENT
    Event Category: Service Control
    Event ID: 103
    Description:
    SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: Unable to connect to server '(local)'; SQLServerAgent cannot start).

Re: SQLServerAgent Startup Problem - Cluster

Hi.
    This is an educated guess but have you checked under what profile the SQL Server Agent Service starts? Possibly you should have it start under a user profile known throughout the cluster. It should also have administrative rights AND should also be allowed to start as a service (The profile not SQL server Agent).

You might also have a look at the Client network Utility on the faulty server. In it you normally find a list of SQL servers with their IP numbers and aliases... see if it helps if you add the other server's name / alias and IP number / protocol to the list in the CNU.

See you!
    Vincent JS

Solved

Heres your problem:

If you look at the event logs, you will notice the Agent is attempting to connect to the LOCAL server, and not the clustered server. With SQL running on the cluster, log into the instance via Management studio, (using CLUSTERNAME\INSTANCE), in the Object Explorer pane, right click on SQL AGENT, select CONNECTION, and in the textbox for ALIAS LOCAL HOST SERVER, enter the CLUSTERNAME\INSTANCE you connected to SQL with (in the steps above).

If you are using a non default service account to run the agent under, make sure you have it added to logins, and give it access to the 4 system databases.

Enjoy

Erick