Unanswered: Adding formula to multiple cells

Hi. I would like to add a formula to all the cells in a column without having to put the formula in one cell at a time.

Specifically, I would like each cell in column E to be the result of subtracting each cell in column D from each cell in column C. So it would be like C1-D1=E1, C2-D2=E2, etc...

Does anyone know of a way I can add the formula to each cell of column E with out doing each one seperate? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Type in E1 your Formula i.e = D1-C1

Then select cell E1 and "Copy" (from toolbar or right click menu)

The select all the cells you want to copy the formula to i.e click on E2, hold the left mousebutton down and pull down until you reach the last cell. Let go - pull up the right click menu and "Paste"

Or you can select all the cells you want filled (say E1:E20), then type in the formula in the formula bar (= D1-C1). Then instead of ENTER, use CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER. All cells will be filled with the appropriate formula.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Thanks!

That kind of worked. The only problem is that now I have the EXACT same formula in each cell in column E. Each cell in E is now "C1-D1". I need it to be specific for each row it's in. For example, E1 should be C1-D1, E2 should be C2-D2, E3 should be C3-D3, etc... Is there a way to do that?

I was over eager!

Actually to place the formula as you want it - relative - then hit CTRL + ENTER.

(Note: CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER will array enter the data - which gives you the same in each).
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

It's working now. Thanks.