Unanswered: fast & free database on Windows

hello,

i'm working on application where there is one central database on server and local databases on clients. Central database is powered by Oracle, local ones by mckoi (previously i used hsql)

my problem is in local database performance (especially UPDATEs and INSERTs takes a lot of time)
    my database includes about 110 tables, over 1 000 000 records and a lot of constraints
    i also use CLOBs, UNIONs and VIEWs

my application is wrote in Java and i'm using JDBC to connect to database

my question is:
    does anybody know fast and free (or cheap) database working on Windows that meet that requirements ?
    or
    are there any methods to tune mckoi database ?

best regards
    Piotr Kopyt

Re: fast & free database on Windows

Hello,

I'm not sure if mySql supports everything you're trying to do but it is fast even on NT/2000. Postgre is free and available for NT, it will do everything you specify. www.postgresql.org

Hope this helps.

John

Originally posted by optyk
    hello,

i'm working on application where there is one central database on server and local databases on clients. Central database is powered by Oracle, local ones by mckoi (previously i used hsql)

my problem is in local database performance (especially UPDATEs and INSERTs takes a lot of time)
    my database includes about 110 tables, over 1 000 000 records and a lot of constraints
    i also use CLOBs, UNIONs and VIEWs

my application is wrote in Java and i'm using JDBC to connect to database

my question is:
    does anybody know fast and free (or cheap) database working on Windows that meet that requirements ?
    or
    are there any methods to tune mckoi database ?

best regards
    Piotr Kopyt

Re: fast & free database on Windows

Originally posted by optyk
    my question is:
    Check out Firebird: http://firebirdsql.org/

It's open source (free) and has a long history of being a solid and fast database with low memory and resource requirements. Works on Windows, Linux, and many other platforms. Good support list on Yahoo! Groups.
    David Cornelius
    http://CorneliusConcepts.com