Unanswered: I'm very new to databases - few concept questions...

I am pretty familiar with MS access. I took some classes and i enjoy it very much. I can make nice relational tables, queries etc etc....

Recently, i've been trying to make all this work on a website.

I want me to be able to go to my website, and enter information directly into the database through the web interface...

After much research i found that MS access is not the best since it's only really made to work on a LAN or VPN. I can do "pages" but they require the client PC to have the office suite installed on it. Also, it's very difficult to get the MSaccess "pages" to work on the internet. They are really meant to work only on an intrAnet.

So I'm thinking - mysql.
    The problem is, that i don't know what mysql is. I've reasearch it alto but too many results come up an most of them are too complicated to understand.

I downloaded mysql for windows from www.mysql.com

1) Can i create relational tables with it?
    2) Can i creat queries?
    3) Can i easly have a php web interface that connects to it?
    I've read that i have to configure my webserver? i've read something about OBDC in control panel?

So what if I want to put this on a webserver that you pay for? Will they charge me extra to configure it to work with my databases?

any begginner links would be appreciated
    Noam

Bin there

Bin there! Actually, I'm pretty much still there. I found MySQL quite easy to set up on a local server. Its free, fast and secure (though lacks some features that, as relative beginners, we probably don't need).

It doesn't have a Graphical User Interface, so you have to get one, or two, if you don't want to be sending commands straight to MySQL all the time. If these frontends to the server are designed to work with MySQL all you have to do is point them at the server IP and they find the available databases. These GUIs seem to fall into two categories: Ones aimed at designing the basics of the database and its user frontend (easily inserting tables, defining fields, wizarding user input forms (like Access) etc); And ones aimed more at the database admin, (so they still let your play around adding tables etc, but don't have a nice wizard for making forms, and in addition are supposed to let you handle the users' permissions and passwords, etc).

In the first category (basic admin/frontend) I've found variations on "Total Rekall", which is nice and simple and probably even a good way to learn the basic concepts. PhpAdmin seems to be the one to use if you want to access the database over the internet. And with ODBC drivers MS Access and Visual Basic can be given a little kick to make it access the MySQL Server.

In the second category (advanced amin) I've found MySQL Control Center, DBManager, EMS MySQL Manager, DBManager.

Thing is, I'm having real trouble finding an advanced admin GUI that does everything I want it to do, and actually does it. (For example, none of the supposedly more advanced admin programs are _actually_ letting me set user privileges differentially by individual tables, as the MySQL Control Center's interface seems to indicate that it would. <http://www.dbforums.com/t975428.html>)

Of course, the alternative with MySQL is not to use a GUI, and enter admin commands directly at a command prompt on the server, or build your own advanced admin commands into a less advanced GUI. But that's a bit of a techie hassle and means I wouldn't easily be able to hand over user admin to other administrators.

Anyway, that's where I am and hopefully its at least given you some program names to Google for.

More specifically

> 1) Can i create relational tables with it?

Sure.

> 2) Can i creat queries?

Yes.

> 3) Can i easly have a php web interface that connects to it?
    I've read that i have to configure my webserver? i've read something about OBDC in control panel?

Like I said, apparently PhpAdmin is the way to go for a web interface, but Rekall exports XML too. I didn't find the server to hard to set up. ODBC is the way some programs connect to the database. You might need to download these drivers.

> So what if I want to put this on a webserver that you pay for? Will they charge me extra to configure it to work with my databases?

I don't think so, but I'm running my MySQL on a LAN. I don't think most web hosts will care too much what you're running up there so long as you're not breaking any rules or laws.
    Last edited by BobChurchill; 12-22-03 at 07:42.

3) Can i easly have a php web interface that connects to it?

I don't think there should be any problems with that. I use perl (via perl DBI) to connect to MySQL in a web-based environment. Up till now, I've not encountered any serious problems perl-mysql interactions.

I downloaded apache 2.0.48 a couple of days and it works great with perl and Mysql - there's nothing to configure in apache as far as Mysql is concerned. There's isn't much to change too to perl scripts to execute with apache.

I'm using Windows 98 and Myslq 4.0.16.

re 3)

I was talking to a mate last night and he said /some/ web hosts charge more for configuring their server to handle MySQL.