Red face Unanswered: carry the forms value upto 8 pages.

Hi there !
    I need help in completing my assignment which is schdule to submit on comming tuesday. Here is discription of the problem..

I have to shows the students reports based upon the user selection. At one page.. All my class students and their contact information is generate along with checkboxes which is unique number in each case. User have the rights to check all the checkboxes or mutiple selections or single selections..

I am able to retrieve the user selection at second page where the all the reports listing are published.. like fall semester report, Trisemester report, project report and so on.. At this page, i hyperlinked the various options too other page.. Now from here my problem starts.. I am not able to think how can i retrive the user first page selections value at third page or 4 page.. Because there are few pages which contains the forms and asked more information which is going to add on user previous selections..

Please, suggest me something, How can i retrieve the values at page number 4, 5 or even higher pages ? It's a very crucial project for me..

Any suggestion and comments are most welcome.

With Thanks !
    Last edited by sqlboy; 12-21-03 at 03:18.

Once you have the data from the early pages, just include those values in hidden fields on the forms on the next pages. This way, the values are again passed forward.

Another way would be to assign the values to session variables, which can then be accessed from any page.

Tim
    Tim

Great... I got suggestion so fast..

But did you think that 'Session Variables' were the good option in this case.. and secondly hiddens fields are the good options but its become double or triple or quadraple depending upon the user selection which troubles me alot..

Anyway! Thanks for the suggestions.

.... and secondly hiddens fields are the good options but its become double or triple or quadraple depending upon the user selection which troubles me alot..
    You can always use one field to hold your hidden data providing you format the data in that field in a suitable way (say XML for example).

Thanks for the suggestion..

But i can't got you completely. Would you like to eloborate it more ?

Thanks !

OKie, normally you'd have a hidden field for each value you want to pass around through the pages, but that can mean a lot of hidden fields...

so instead you have one hidden field to hold all the values, but you format the values in a manner so that you can spilt them into their individual values at any given time....

one of the ways you can format the data is as xml...

so maybe you have 4 values, username, course, and 2 report names that you need to pass around.... your xml string looks something like

Code:
    <myvalues>
         <username>bob</username>
         <course>testing</course>
         <reports>
              <reportname>report1</reportname>
              <reportname>report2</reportname>
         </reports>
    </myvalues>
    now you hold the entire xml string in a single hidden field, pass it around and whenever you need to grab or add a value you use the xml

of course you can format the string in any manner you want and you can have as many or as few fields as you want... so you could store the username in one field, the course name in another and then all the reports names in another field as a comma delimited string.

does that help?

Thanks indeed !!

Yes.. you eloborate in a very efficient manner..

Thanks !!