Unanswered: 2 Error Messages Same Line

Hi, All!

I get 2 different error messages, depending on the use of quotation marks, with the same line of code. If I do (From_transfr) I get "ByRef argument type mismatch." If I use the quotes, I get "Type mismatch".

Private Sub cmdsave_rec_Click()
    Dim From_tranfr As Integer
    Dim To_tranfr As Integer
    Dim Amt As Currency

If IsNull(Me!cmbFrom) Or IsNull(Me!cmbTo) Or IsNull(Me!txtAmount) Or Me!txtAmount <= 0 Then
    MsgBox "All data is required, Please enter information!", vbCritical + vbOKOnly, Application.Name
    Exit Sub
    End If

From_tranfr = CInt(Me!cmbFrom)
    To_tranfr = CInt(Me!cmbTo)
    Amt = Me!txtAmount

'This is the "offending" line:
    If MsgBox("Move amount to? " & Format(Amt, "$#,##0.00") & " from account '" & findAcct_Name("From_transfr") & _
    "' to account '" & findAcct_Name("To_tranfr") & "'" & Chr(10) & "Is this correct?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo, Application.Name) = vbYes Then

Can somebody just point me in the right direction. If I don't figure it out "myself", I won't learn anything.

If you need moe information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

How are you defining the function findAcct_Name? Does it return a value? What parameter(s) are you passing and by what method?

Originally posted by M Owen
    How are you defining the function findAcct_Name? Does it return a value? What parameter(s) are you passing and by what method?
    . . . defining the function . . .
    Function findAcct_Name(acct As Integer) As String
    Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset
    Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset

rs.Open "Select Acct_Descript from tblacct_type where Acct_Id =" & acct, CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

If rs.RecordCount > 0 Then
    findAcct_Name = rs!Acct_Descript
    End If

rs.Close
    Set rs = Nothing
    End Function

Dim To_tranfr As Integer

Does it return a value?
    If MsgBox("Move amount to? " & Format(Amt, "$#,##0.00") & " from account '" & findAcct_Name("From_transfr") & _
    "' to account '" & findAcct_Name("To_tranfr") & "'" & Chr(10) & "Is this correct?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo, Application.Name) = vbYes Then

Message box says:
    Move amount to? $20.00 from account Checking (From_transfr) to Savings (To_Transfr). Is this correct?

. . .by what method?

ByRef - is what I believe you mean.

What parameter(s) are you passing . . .

I hope this is what you were asking, if not, please don't hesitate . . .

Thanks in advance,

Bob

. . . defining the function . . .
    Function findAcct_Name(acct As Integer) As String
    Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset
    Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset

rs.Open "Select Acct_Descript from tblacct_type where Acct_Id =" & acct, CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

If rs.RecordCount > 0 Then
    findAcct_Name = rs!Acct_Descript
    End If

rs.Close
    Set rs = Nothing
    End Function

Dim To_tranfr As Integer

Does it return a value?

Message box says:
    Move amount to? $20.00 from account Checking (From_transfr) to Savings (To_Transfr). Is this correct?

. . .by what method?

ByRef - is what I believe you mean.

What parameter(s) are you passing . . .

I hope this is what you were asking, if not, please don't hesitate . . .

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Bob,

Couple of things ... Your parameter is ByRef (default - not explicit). No Problem ...

Problem(s):

1) Return value. I don't see a default return value ... What if there is no matching account?

2) ADODB recordsets. When you use this kind of recordset, you are not automatically on the 1st record. You must perform a MoveFirst call ... Also, you are by default using serverside cursor so your RecordCount test will fail ... It's value is -1 = indeterminant. Set the CursorType to adUseClient ...

3) Passing values. Pass in the field name not in quotations ...

Bob,

Couple of things ... Your parameter is ByRef (default - not explicit). No Problem ...

Problem(s):

1) Return value. I don't see a default return value ... What if there is no matching account?

2) ADODB recordsets. When you use this kind of recordset, you are not automatically on the 1st record. You must perform a MoveFirst call ... Also, you are by default using serverside cursor so your RecordCount test will fail ... It's value is -1 = indeterminant. Set the CursorType to adUseClient ...

3) Passing values. Pass in the field name not in quotations ...
    . . . no matching account? There are only 2 options: Checking(2) or Savings(1)

When I used Option Explicit, I found the errors, which were the typical spelling ones. One place I had From_transfr and another place I had From_tranfr.

I've got 3 out of 4 forms working. (2 of the 4 forms weren't giving me problems.) I'm now working on the last one.

I'm having problems with a row source (sql) that I created with the query builder, but I'll see what I can do before asking for help.

Thanks for your help!

Later,

Bob

PS

I will be making the change with the cursor as you suggested. I will also check the code for the MoveFirst