Unanswered: Anything about IBM Universe Database

Hi! All

Currently I am working on Informix DB, Informix 4GL as Project Leader in very reputed IT company. Now I got an offer from another good IT company as PL for some migration project in IBM Universe Database and then to ASP/VB/.Net. What I need to know is the following:

1. From where Can I get the technical details of IBM-Universe. (other then IBM site).
    2. How does this switch sounds (from Infromix to Universe) in terms of future aspects? I am talking about only technology and not the company, CTC etc etc...
    3. Any details of IBM Universe.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Re: Anything about IBM Universe Database

Originally posted by adityanlal
    Hi! All

Currently I am working on Informix DB, Informix 4GL as Project Leader in very reputed IT company. Now I got an offer from another good IT company as PL for some migration project in IBM Universe Database and then to ASP/VB/.Net. What I need to know is the following:

1. From where Can I get the technical details of IBM-Universe. (other then IBM site).
    2. How does this switch sounds (from Infromix to Universe) in terms of future aspects? I am talking about only technology and not the company, CTC etc etc...
    3. Any details of IBM Universe.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks
    I can help you with your questions. Please email me with more details about what type of platform Universe is running under (e.g. AIX, Windows 2000 server, etc.)

Sincerely,

Norm Valdes
    Desktop Systems

I am total new with IBM Universe database.. could you please send me some links that i can get help (very basic one) ? I am ok with Oracle, SQL, Access.
    Thanks in advance
    hnib1976

DB2 UDB Info -- links

International DB2 Users Group has lots of good stuff including
    an active forum at www.idug.org (you don't need to join IDUG)

IBM's DB2 Domain (now called DeveloperWorks) has links to
    free DB2 downloads, articles, tech bulletins, etc
    at http://www.ibm.com/software/data/developer/
    It is the basic source I would recommend for DB2 education
    and free info.

The Database Pipelines at http://www.revealnet.com/index.asp
    have some good info

DB Magazine at www.db2mag.com

This should get you integrated into the DB2 world pretty quickly.

Careerwise --
    DB2 marketshare is increasing while Informix slowly fades.
    If you can move your career over to DB2, I'd recommend it.

Good luck.

Hello,

Universe, created by Vmark software back in the late 80's, is a form of the
    Pick system. Like all Multi-Value databases (Reality, Unidata, Univision, etc), it has the unique feature of allowing multiple values for each field of each record in a file and each multiple value can also have sub-values. This can make it difficult to transfer from the existing database to a more structured file system such as Oracle.

The Universe software itself does not have tools to view and extract the data, but it is ANSI compliant. There are third party applications such as wIntegrate that can access a Universe database and allow you to view the files. I use a product called ViaDuct (http://www.via.com/). However, both of these may not be able to transfer the multi-values and sub-values of any Multi-value database in the correct order.

When I transfer data from Universe I write a program that will sort all the values and sub-values in the correct order and then I use ViaDuct to transfer the data to CSV, tab, or text file.

To see more about Universe :

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/u2/universe/

If you need help please let me know.

Norm Valdes
    Desktop Systems

bugging you more about Universe database

Hello...Thanks so much for your help... I have just graduated and had a job... in my project I have to deal with client-server programming involved the Universedatabase... all I know is Orcle and SQL...... could you please gimme some quick hints about how-to-do-this task:

1) how to create a tables (in Universe, i believe they called "files" )
    2) how to create a field in table
    3) how to enter data (records) using editor, REVISE command and from a program (BASIC)... well.. just some simply thoughs, so I can look up inthe manual or research online.
    4) how to manipulate and modify records in tables.
    5) how to merge tables...

I know it is too much to ask.. but.. if you could, please help..
    Thank you so much
    hnib1976

Re: bugging you more about Universe database

Hello,

Yes, I would be glad to help you with your new job. It would be
    better if you could communicate directly to my email address
    below. I can give you the commands and tips on creating
    files and records and also send you a refence book.

Sincerely,

Norm
    Desktop Systems
    email address: desktop@lvcm.com

linking from one account to another

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to link a subroutine in one account to a table in another account.

Thanks,

John

If you are having trouble extracting multi-value and sub-value elements, you may be interested in trying a free product created by Cedarville University called DOWNLOAD.

DOWNLOAD is a "command-line" utility which extracts data from Unidata/Universe databases and produces output files in a variety of formats (XML, HTML, tab-delimited, word-processing merge, etc.). The syntax is similar to the LIST statement. Installation is fairly painless using the installation paragraph provided. A PDF reference manual is provided.

ftp.cedarville.edu

Originally posted by RAIDERSTAR
    Hello,

Universe, created by Vmark software back in the late 80's, is a form of the
    Pick system. Like all Multi-Value databases (Reality, Unidata, Univision, etc), it has the unique feature of allowing multiple values for each field of each record in a file and each multiple value can also have sub-values. This can make it difficult to transfer from the existing database to a more structured file system such as Oracle.

The Universe software itself does not have tools to view and extract the data, but it is ANSI compliant. There are third party applications such as wIntegrate that can access a Universe database and allow you to view the files. I use a product called ViaDuct (http://www.via.com/). However, both of these may not be able to transfer the multi-values and sub-values of any Multi-value database in the correct order.

When I transfer data from Universe I write a program that will sort all the values and sub-values in the correct order and then I use ViaDuct to transfer the data to CSV, tab, or text file.

To see more about Universe :

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/u2/universe/

If you need help please let me know.

Norm Valdes
    Desktop Systems