Question Unanswered: SQL 2000 to SQL 7.0

We built a DB using SQL 2000 personal edition. Detached the DB and then replaced the PC hard drive. I've now loaded SQL 7.0 MSDE edition, but am not able to attach the DB. Receive the following error:

The header for file 'c:\mssql7\data\IntelaTrac.mdf' is not a valid database file header. The PageAudit property is incorrect."

I'm assuming that the problem is the difference in versions. Are they are any scripts that I could run to convert the SQL 2000 DB to a SQL 7 DB?

Or should I use the old hard drive and export the tables? If so, what type of file should I export them to? And then could I import those files into SQL 7?

Or I am stuck - and have to go out and get SQL 2000 to load to the PC. PC is Windows 2000 Professional so the SQL 2000 version would be the personal version I believe.

Thanks

bcp / DTS

If you reconstitute the S2K, then at a minimum you could use bcp to move your data.

Your could probably use DTS also.

Or, if you do this often, write a stored procedure to dump your data in and amongst INSERT statements.

Re: bcp / DTS

Originally posted by datamodeler
    If you reconstitute the S2K, then at a minimum you could use bcp to move your data.

Your could probably use DTS also.

Or, if you do this often, write a stored procedure to dump your data in and amongst INSERT statements.
    What is BCP and what is DTS?

We do not this often - just is a one time fix.

Would it be possible to use MSDE 2000 for this? This is a PC used to maintain a SQL database (Windows 2000 Prof) which has two hand-held devices which collect data that we upload to the SQL database.

Thanks.

No! The DBMS is reading "header" information in the file you exported and knows it does not belong to it. You will have to go back to S2K to get your data out.

bcp and DTS are ETL utilities which are provided with SQL Server. bcp has been around almost for ever. DTS is relatively newer but is in both 7 & S2K.

sorry for the bad news

Mike