Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: PostgreSQL for windows

Excuse me...
    Does PostgreSQL have windows compiled version?
    My English is poor, so... please forgive me if I make mistakes.

Cool Not cool

Ther's a cygwin compiled version and that harming while emaulating the whole Unix Layer, I don't like that version even it exist, but a Windows Port is planned for the next month, the dev mailing list says a native version is to come with 7.5 version, till that , A linux compile postgresqlid the best version !!
    Open up
    Take a look to my Blog http://www.rundom.com/karim2k

windows version

dbExperts (dbexperts.net) has a pre-packaged version of the db, which for me has seemed to work quite nicely. Installation is a snap. I can't comment on the stability when it's put through it's paces, but so far it seems to be working very well for me. They charge for a win license, however. About $230 or so.

Has anyone else seen the dbExperts version puke under high load?

-PJ

You may like to try UltraSQL by PeerDirect (http://www.peerdirect.com):

ftp://209.61.187.152/postgres/postgres_beta4.zip

I've had it up and running on Windows NT 4.

Well, the windows port of postgres not out yet - the free version that is. Its been due for a while, and is still on their todo list. Check the status of it here

However you can run Postgres on Windows - I am doing it now. You need to install a peice of software called cygwin and then you can use the normal linux version of Postgres!

Warning though - it can be (though not necessarily) an arse to setup. I have my copy running nicely on Windows 2000 Server as a service...

It works fine when it is setup, and I have had no problems other than ones I would have had otherwise on Linux.

Good luck

cygwin

Any comments on the stability of Cygwin? I've talked to some Linux die-hards that say it's a flakey piece of junk. I know, I know, it usually boils down to the stability of Windows (or lack thereof).

-PJ

Put it this way it hasn't crashed and its been up almost continuously since November...

I don't like it personally - but I can't complain about it, it does its job.

If you really have a problem, buy a version of Postgres, or even purchase a non-open source db. Like Oracle maybee.

Wink

Yeah, as a small (very small) developer shop, Oracle was high on our consideration list, but gee, we just didn't seem to have $40,000 lying around!!

I am currently running the dbExperts version of Postg. 7.3.4 and I must say, they have packaged it up very nicely. Installation is a total snap. The database rocks, and I still can't believe it's free (or in my case, almost free). Kudos to the developers.

-PJ

I've been running PostgreSQL on cygwin since June 2003 in a Windows 2000 machine. It's been working fine. No problems.

So, there is no risk to use it.
    Pablo Velasquez Rivas
    Computer Science Engineer - ITCR

Re: PostgreSQL for windows

Justy use MySQL. Same thing.
    Originally posted by AkiraJ
    Excuse me...

I would have to disagree with you vidmas. MySQL is not the same thing. I switched from using MySQL on NT to PostgreSQL because I could use stored procedures and sub selects with PostgreSQL that I couldn't with MySQL. In addition, there are licensing issues with MySQL that I don't think apply to PostgreSQL.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/curre...all-win32.html

Originally posted by AkiraJ
    Excuse me...

Originally posted by vidmas
    Justy use MySQL. Same thing.
    Again with the same two posts. Stacey is correct it IS NOT the same thing.

It's not the same thing but what do you actually get? Stored procedures are cool if you can execute them in a 4GL language. PL/pgSQL has no procedures, bad libraries, no packages, dumb quote escapes that make you count about 50 quotes per dynamic query, and no parameter naming. All parameters are constants that you have to alias and not name! My point is that you are better off just using the tables and using a server-side scripting language such as php, perl, python, etc. The speed of modern servers makes the "slow" script advantages far outweigh the advantages of PL/psSQL (which sucks as a language). Furthermore, did you check out the link about compiling PostgreSQL for Windows?

Originally posted by rhs98

It's not the same thing but what do you actually get? Stored procedures are cool if you can execute them in a 4GL language. PL/pgSQL has no procedures, bad libraries, no packages, dumb quote escapes that make you count about 50 quotes per dynamic query, and no parameter naming. All parameters are constants that you have to alias and not name! My point is that you are better off just using the tables and using a server-side scripting language such as php, perl, python, etc. The speed of modern servers makes the "slow" script advantages far outweigh the advantages of PL/psSQL (which sucks as a language). Furthermore, did you check out the link about compiling PostgreSQL for Windows?

Originally posted by rhs98