Thread: IN range check

Unanswered: IN range check

Does anyone know why I can't use the % wild card character with an IN statement? select * from my_table where name in ('Ste%','Bil%')
    doesn't return any results even they are in the table. Just wondered, thanks. I am running Server 2000.

select * from my_table where name in ('Ste%','Bil%')
    From your example, in order for any records to be returned, 'name' would have to be compared against the values in the IN clause with at least one of the comparisons evaluating as TRUE.

Strings containing wildcards will never evaluate as equal when compared with another string, you can only compare them using LIKE.

The following query is doing the same thing as yours above, just written a little differently, it would also return 0 rows regardles of the data.

SELECT * FROM my_table where name = 'Ste%' OR name = 'Bil%'

Re: IN range check

wildcards (% and _) are interpreted for the operator LIKE, not operator IN thus you cannot use wildcards in an IN expresion, you are limited to use subselects

from BOL,

test_expression [ NOT ] IN
    (
    subquery
    | expression [ ,...n ]
    )

Re: IN range check

Ok. Thanks. I guess I was expecting wildcards to work the same way as in SQL for Oracle.

where name in ('Ste%','Bil%') works in oracle???????

i am most skeptical

i don't have oracle, so could can someone who does please run a quick test and confirm this?

rudy
    http://r937.com/

You are quite correct. I have Oracle too and the % wildcard does not work with IN. My mistake.