Lightbulb Unanswered: Multiple DB2 Servers Hitting Single Database

I was wondering if anyone here has tried setting up 2 UDB v8.1.1.32 servers on AIX 5.2, hitting a single data point? I'd like to know if this is doable utilizing HACMP as a load balancer between the 2 servers.

Re: Multiple DB2 Servers Hitting Single Database

AFAIk, there is no 'inbuilt' facility in db2 for load balancing or high availabiltiy ... You should consider third party tools(like HACMP for HA)

Sorry if my answer is not of much help

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by seppeusa
    I was wondering if anyone here has tried setting up 2 UDB v8.1.1.32 servers on AIX 5.2, hitting a single data point? I'd like to know if this is doable utilizing HACMP as a load balancer between the 2 servers.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Re: Multiple DB2 Servers Hitting Single Database

Hi seppeusa,

I can't quite see in what respect HACMP might help you with load balancing.

There may be a solution with DB2, namely the partitioning feature. It lets you basically spread your data across servers, and allows for retrieval and manipulation of that data on each server. The partitioning feature in DB2 is targeted at warehouse environments.

If it is OLTP what you got in mind you may be better off using Oracle with RAC option.

Johann

Originally posted by seppeusa