Unanswered: Show all records without a datasheet

I have a problem no one has been able to solve yet. It might be because of my explanation because it doesn't seem to be too hard. Yet, maybe it is.

I need a form that shows all Subjects in a list/datasheet and all related Resources pertaining to the chosen Subject. I need to be able to arrow through (arrow keys) the Subjects and see the related records in Resources automatically.

The only part I cannot make happen is showing all Subjects. Because Subjects is bound to the Main form, it is always pointing to a specific record, not allowing me to see them all.

Can someone tell what I am doing wrong? I am a former Foxpro programmer struggling with the concepts of Access, although I can see it is a great program.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Ae you setting up your main form as a "Continuous Forms"? That gives you the effect of a spreadsheet ... I don't know what you mean by resources ... Can you give a more "generic" description of what you're trying to do? Say overview wise ...

Clearer explanation

Thanks for such a quick response!

This is a topical filing system for a library. There are lots of Subjects (History, Chemistry, Education, etc.) and there are lots of Resources that fall under one or more subjects (a book is a Resrouce that would have one or more Subjects).

For ease of use, I need a form that, in effect, shows two subform datasheets. The left one shows ALL Subjects. The right one shows Resources added to that Subject, if any. Both would allow me the basic navigation of typing in new records on the fly.

Re: Clearer explanation

Originally posted by WHardy7
    Thanks for such a quick response!

This is a topical filing system for a library. There are lots of Subjects (History, Chemistry, Education, etc.) and there are lots of Resources that fall under one or more subjects (a book is a Resrouce that would have one or more Subjects).

For ease of use, I need a form that, in effect, shows two subform datasheets. The left one shows ALL Subjects. The right one shows Resources added to that Subject, if any. Both would allow me the basic navigation of typing in new records on the fly.
    Gotcha. Then what you're talking about is having 2 subforms side by side. Bunch of work there ...

Show all records...

What part of this makes it most difficult so that I can figure out a way to work around it? This would be no problem in Foxpro, and I know Access can do it, but the differences in concepts is something I am struggling with. Is there another way I should consider doing this?

Wayne

Re: Show all records...

Originally posted by WHardy7
    What part of this makes it most difficult so that I can figure out a way to work around it? This would be no problem in Foxpro, and I know Access can do it, but the differences in concepts is something I am struggling with. Is there another way I should consider doing this?

Wayne
    That is like asking someone the proper way to paint ... There is no real wrong way, just how you want to do it. It all depends on your requirements ... What I'd do is (in your circumstance) this: Resources is a dependency of subjects. So I'd have a form with the subjects on it. If I need to see the resources I'd have a button to pop them up in another form keyed to the subject selected. But that's just me ....

You can do the side by side subforms also ... It's a more difficult and complex linkage issue ...