Exclamation Unanswered: problems updating checkboxes in form

I'm having problems updating the checkboxes. Below is the code:

If Request("chkCount") > 0 Then
    For i = 0 to Request("chkCount")
    chkID = Request("display" & i)

If chkID <> "" Then
    objConn.Execute("UPDATE Downloads SET display = 1 WHERE id = " & chkID)
    Else
    objConn.Execute("UPDATE Downloads SET display = 0 WHERE id = " & i)
    End If
    Next

sMsg = "Items have been successfully updated!"
    End If

%>
    <form name="form1" action="downloads.asp" method="POST">
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="414" >
    <tr>
    <td width="301">Select files: </td>
    </tr>
    <% rs.MoveFirst
    While Not rs.EOF
    iCount = iCount + 1
    %>
    <tr>
    <td width="541"><input type="checkbox" name="display<%=iCount%>" value = "<%=rs("id")%>" <% if rs("display") Then Response.Write "CHECKED=True" End If%> ><%=rs("filename")%> - <%=rs("title")%></td>
    </tr>
    <% rs.MoveNext
    Wend
    %>
    <input type="hidden" name="chkCount" value="<%=iCount%>">
    <tr height="43">
    <td height="43" colspan="3" width="474"><input type="submit" value="Select"><input type="reset"></td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </form>

When the a box is not check and I check it and click on the submit button, that record is updated. After it is checked, and when I try to uncheck it, the record is not updated. How can I update the record when the user unchecks the checkboxes?

Thanks!

I'm not sure on this, it's been a while so forgive me if I'm wrong....

If you request a unchecked tick box the value that is returned will be null. You have to specifically use the isNull() function to check if the value is null (checking by using <> "" won't work).

Give that a try and see what happens.

That should work - Try 2 things:

1. Find out if it is going to the wrong condition - Add a response.write for each condition to see which one is getting it.
    2. If it is going to the wrong condition then response.write out the value of the checkbox with leading and trailing characters to see if there is a value given.

the problem may be the counters

The two counters do not match. In the For ... Next loop, you used i starting with 0 to Request("chkCount"), but in the form, you placed iCount = iCount + 1 at the beginning of the While ... Wend loop. That means the starting number is 1 if iCount was initialized to 0. You may try to move iCount = iCount + 1 to the end of loop, which is before rs.MoveNext.

As gyuan already mentioned, your counters are out of sink - but I think the problem is that your update statement uses 2 different variables to base the update:

objConn.Execute("UPDATE Downloads SET display = 1 WHERE id = " & chkID)
    objConn.Execute("UPDATE Downloads SET display = 0 WHERE id = " & i)

When executing updates based on the same column - you need to keep the same variable. Your rs("id") holds the key to this - what are the values for rs("id") ? Your id value may be different from your counter value which could be causing the problem.

So zero base your iCount while loop or 1-base your for-next loop and change chkID to i for both update statements in the where clause.