Unanswered: Executing .BAT file from Oracle Stored Procedure ...

Hi All,

How can I call an Oracle MS-DOS batch file from Oracle Stored Proceduer ?

Thanks

Hi Sureshdas,

Firstly there's no such thing as an "Oracle MS-DOS batch file" only "MS-DOS batch files".

I guess you would need to write a .dll and call it through ExtProc.

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Guys,

I need to execute a .BAT file (MS-DOS batch file) from Oracle PL/SQL.

How to perform this, in Oralce Stored Procedure / Trigger ?

Thanks

Hi,

If you go to .....

http://examples.oreilly.com/oraclep3/individual_files/

and scroll to the bottom, there are four files (extproc*.*) whos titles suggest they offer some sort of shell processing.

I haven't looked at them, and unless you have a suitable c compiler you won't be able to build them. Bascically the .dll is core to it.

Your Pl/sql calls extproc which in turns calls a function within a .dll which does the actuall MS-DOS calls.

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

yes you will have to do an external procedure calls. A database link will need to be set up which will allow the you to leave the database and go out onto the O/S. Once on the O/S you can do pretty much anything

I'm not following how a database link comes into this. As I understand it you need to first ensure that extproc is configured to make external dll calls and then create a PL/SQL library which maps PL/SQL functions onto the DLL functions....

PHP Code:
    CREATE OR REPLACE LIBRARY POINTER_TO_MY_DLL AS 'C:\\ORACLE\\ORA81\\MYDLL.DLL';

FUNCTION 
    GetCfg RETURN VARCHAR2 IS
       EXTERNAL   LIBRARY POINTER_TO_MY_DLL 
    -- this would be the library ie your dll
       NAME       
    "GetConfig" -- and this would be a function within it which uses the 'c' calling convention
       LANGUAGE   C

Your external dll can do (nearly) anything, but first you have to write the dll.

Hth
    Bill

YES APOLOGIES IT'S A LINK NOT A DATABASE LINK SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION