Unanswered: cant detect network database server?

Hi everyone

I am using SQL Anywhere 8.0 and am having trouble detecting a network server.

With a personal server it is fine, however nothing works properly with a network server (even on the local machine).

The dialog pops up and says that it is accepting requests.

When I try to connect and then choose 'find' it can detect the server but then fails to connect.

I am also using rational testManager which needs a sybase server running. It also cannot detect the network database server (but can detect the personal server)

Thanks for your help.

Cool SQL Anywhere implementation with Rational TestManager

Hello,

I am implementing SQL Anywhere Database Server v5.5.05 in support of TestManager as a backend database solution. I need to configure the ODBC connection for exclusively TCP\IP connectivity through a firewall using a Server Port configuration. I can connect to my server without issue, running dbclient from the command line. However, when I pass this infromation on to an environmental variable in Rational Administrator, I can not upgrade my MSAcess Test Datastore to SQL Anywhere. Do you have any ideas?
    Keith R. Woodard
    IBM Rational Tool Consultant
    Adecco Technical

Re: cant detect network database server?

I've encountered the same problem as you johndekay. Have you discovered a solution/workaround yet?

Originally posted by johndekay
    Hi everyone

I am using SQL Anywhere 8.0 and am having trouble detecting a network server.

With a personal server it is fine, however nothing works properly with a network server (even on the local machine).

The dialog pops up and says that it is accepting requests.

When I try to connect and then choose 'find' it can detect the server but then fails to connect.

I am also using rational testManager which needs a sybase server running. It also cannot detect the network database server (but can detect the personal server)

Thanks for your help.

Re: cant detect network database server?

Originally posted by bogg1196
    I've encountered the same problem as you johndekay. Have you discovered a solution/workaround yet?
    Rational Administrator does not understand the native commands that Sybase ASA employs. If you have a network with multiple subnets, you will need to enable NetBIOS as a protocol. Also, you will need shut off any broadcasting that you might have enabled within your SQLCONNECT string. You should be able to connect to your server fine through TCP\IP and NetBIOS. If not, you will need to create a batch file with the ASA configuration information that it requires for connect (i.e. a batch file called SQLCONNECT).

I will answer more on this issue tomorrow if required!

Running late,
    Keith
    Keith R. Woodard
    IBM Rational Tool Consultant
    Adecco Technical