Thread: storing Lobs

Unanswered: storing Lobs

Hi Friends,

We are planning to store large objects(large documents) .The question is what is the adventages and disadventages in storing these documents in the database or operating system. Is it adventages to store in database then to operating system????.Storing documents on os and relate these document in the database??? please advice

Thanks in advance

Desk, slightly south of keyboard

Personally I would aim to store them in the database as you can ensure integrity, ie you won't get the situation whereby a row exists on the db, but the file doesn't exist on disk and vice versa.

However, if there is a large amount of data you may decide to put them somewhere on the OS (even on a different server) where a client can process a file directly thereby removing workload from the DB.

It's six of one and half a dozen of the other, very much specific to your needs.

Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.