Unanswered: absolute beginner

hello,

i'm a newbie to filemaker, hope anyone can help me.

our company has a general address database.

for my department, i'm setting up this database in which locations are stored. each location has address data which match some of the data in the company's general database.

employers have to fill in new contact data into the general DB.
    in my department, they'll have to put some of the address data into the database i'm creating.

to avoid double work, i would like to have a button on each record with wich i can do the following:
    if the content a certain field ("company") from one DB record ("addresses") matches a certain field ("location") from another DB ("locations"), i want to make it possible that the rest of the "locations" record is updated with the content of related fields in the "adresses" database.

i've tried to make a script, but i must be doing something wrong, because it doesn't work.

does anyone know how to do this one?

thxxx and a merry x-mas!

kika

Re: absolute beginner

Sounds like you want to update multiple db's from a main db. This can be done, but is reliant on your relational links and how the fields are contrusted. It's hard to determine where your problem lies without seeing your file(s). Check FileMaker help under "Updating another file example".
    If your are really stuck send me a sample of your db's (with 1-2 records)
    Good luck

Copyright 1994 - 2001 FileMaker, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Originally posted by kika
    hello,

i'm a newbie to filemaker, hope anyone can help me.

our company has a general address database.

for my department, i'm setting up this database in which locations are stored. each location has address data which match some of the data in the company's general database.

employers have to fill in new contact data into the general DB.
    in my department, they'll have to put some of the address data into the database i'm creating.

to avoid double work, i would like to have a button on each record with wich i can do the following:
    if the content a certain field ("company") from one DB record ("addresses") matches a certain field ("location") from another DB ("locations"), i want to make it possible that the rest of the "locations" record is updated with the content of related fields in the "adresses" database.

i've tried to make a script, but i must be doing something wrong, because it doesn't work.

does anyone know how to do this one?

thxxx and a merry x-mas!

kika
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions