Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    ARlington Virginia
    Posts
    3

    Unanswered: Couldn't connect to ADMIN$ during upgrade

    I'm running the SQL 2000 upgrade wizard and this error came up in the final phases of the upgrade to SQL 2000. The phase is doing the Export Import of the Table data:

    Error: Couldn't connect to the ADMIN$ share on the export machine. Verify that the MSSQLServer Service uses a NT Domain account that is part of the Administrator's group of the export machine and that both machines are in the same domain.

    I've checked and service account are in the local admin group and both are in the same resource domain. The service account is in the accounts domain.

    Thanks for your time!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2

    Re: Couldn't connect to ADMIN$ during upgrade

    I am also having same problem. I am upgrading from one machine to another. I have SQL server 6.5 with service pack 5a. Another machine with W2k and SQL server 2000 with SP3 and disables cnv6x70.dll. If you get the solution, please post on the forum.

    Thanks
    Sushil

    Originally posted by john mcelroy
    I'm running the SQL 2000 upgrade wizard and this error came up in the final phases of the upgrade to SQL 2000. The phase is doing the Export Import of the Table data:

    Error: Couldn't connect to the ADMIN$ share on the export machine. Verify that the MSSQLServer Service uses a NT Domain account that is part of the Administrator's group of the export machine and that both machines are in the same domain.

    I've checked and service account are in the local admin group and both are in the same resource domain. The service account is in the accounts domain.

    Thanks for your time!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    91
    You may want to try posting this to the correct forum.
    MS SQL Server is not MySQL.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    ARlington Virginia
    Posts
    3

    Re: Couldn't connect to ADMIN$ during upgrade

    Originally posted by sks61
    I am also having same problem. I am upgrading from one machine to another. I have SQL server 6.5 with service pack 5a. Another machine with W2k and SQL server 2000 with SP3 and disables cnv6x70.dll. If you get the solution, please post on the forum.

    Thanks
    Sushil
    I was not able to determine the cause of the ADMIN$ failure. I had checked all permissions and service accounts and it didn't seem like it would be failing. Instead I did the single server upgrade. I had to install a W2k server and install SQL 6.5. I then restored the customer SQL 6.5 D: drive to this server, which contained the SQL software and database files. After confirming the database was operational, I then installed a default instance of SQL 2000. I then ran the upgrade wizard and it completed 100 %. If you install SQL 6.5 to a new server and it fails, you may have the add the delay to the MSDB script, there is a Q article on it. It has something to do with fast hard drives.

    After testing the SQL 2000 databases, since this was in a test lab, I then ran the DB backup, and moved the backup file to the live network SQL 2000 development server, where it was restored. I'm now in testing. If all is well then I redo this whole procedure with latest data and put on the real production server.

    Hope that helps.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •