Thread: Table Not Found

Unanswered: Table Not Found

I've got 4 procedures that create tables. After the last procedure I am attempting to read one of the newly created tables. When it jumps to that procedure I get this error:

"Microsoft Jet Database engine can not find the input table or query tbl_Group_Data. Make sure it exists and that it's name is spelled correctly".

It is spelled correctly and when I click on the debug it is at the following statement:

rsData.Open "Select * from tbl_Group_Data", cnData, adOpenStatic

After viewing the break and pressing F5 the procedure will continue without a problem. It is reading this table from a local Access 97 database on my system.

TIA
    David

It sounds like a timing issue or a caching issue - have you tried to put a sleep between the creation of the tables and the query ? You might be trying to access the table before it has been fully created.

Table Not Found

Yes, I've tried that and it seems to help 50% of the time. Is there a way to find out if the table has been written and wait for it's completion before continuing?

Davdi

Originally posted by rnealejr
    It sounds like a timing issue or a caching issue - have you tried to put a sleep between the creation of the tables and the query ? You might be trying to access the table before it has been fully created.

What have you tried so far - how long of a delay ?

Table Not Found

I have tried a delay between 5 and 10 seconds. 5 Seconds does not seem to be long enough but usually 8 to 10 is. I was looking for a more elegant way of checking to see if the table had been written and I could continue.

David

Originally posted by rnealejr
    What have you tried so far - how long of a delay ?

That sounds too long - so in your sleep method you are passing 8000 for 8 seconds ? You can trap this error - sleep for 1 second and attempt to resume - incrementing a counter until it is available or some max value that determines that this is a real error. Also, you can use a progressbar telling the user "Please wait while the tables are created" ... Are you only creating tables - no data import ?