Well I linked it in SQL Server using the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle. In access, i used ODBC.
In SQL Server the closest option I have to using ODBC is to use the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC...i tried that it didnt solve anything.
I checked all my registry settings to make sure that they are updated. I am using the Oracle 9i client...i wanted to use Oracle 8i as that is what the server is and that is what most of the references I found used...however, my system is running on XP Pro and Oracle 8i simply didn't install.
I am still very stuck and not really moving anywhere. THe queries are taking over 10 minutes, while the equivalent queries take several seconds in access through ODBC...there is no point of me using SQL Server if its gonnna be so slow. I doubt this is just the way it works because I can't imagine anyone getting much use out of a system this slow.
i havent used oracle with sql in a while but i think if you install the oracle client tools on the server that has sql on it, you will then have a more native oracle driver at your disposal...good luck