Question Unanswered: Define appication constants

I want to use user defined constants from db2 procedure. We are using udb 8.1. Can anybody help me out?
    Last edited by siddharthaghosa; 12-27-03 at 04:49.

Re: Define appication constants

Hi,

consider introducing a parameter or constants table.

I am unaware of any concept of passing user defined constants to the database engine, and I doubt there is one.

Johann

Originally posted by siddharthaghosa
    I want to use user defined constants from db2 procedure. We are using udb 8.1. Can anybody help me out?

More question

Thanks a lot. I have considered this options. A table will make the queries complicated and slower. While if using a parameter, the constant values have to be defined at multiple places which will lead to maintenance problems in future. Oracle allows the same by defining constants within a package. Even DB does a similar thing for SQLCode (defined in SQLCA.H). Question is can developers use the same mechanism?

Re: More question

Hi,

what exactly is a package in Oracle?

Of course developers of executable code - that may be accessed through function calls from DB2 - can include header files and build functions, for example in C. In this regard, there is a way to define constants.

But these constants live in the realm of code outside the database. I have never heard about a way to pass new constants on to the database engine for reference in SQL PL stored procedures. Is this different with Oracle?

Johann

Originally posted by siddharthaghosa
    Thanks a lot. I have considered this options. A table will make the queries complicated and slower. While if using a parameter, the constant values have to be defined at multiple places which will lead to maintenance problems in future. Oracle allows the same by defining constants within a package. Even DB does a similar thing for SQLCode (defined in SQLCA.H). Question is can developers use the same mechanism?