Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3

    Unanswered: Linking Access DBs to Websites using PHP

    What's the easiest way to link an Access DB to a Website using PHP? I want to generate approx 5,000 dynamic Web pages using the content from the DB and also let my Website's users search the DB.

    Can anyone point me towards some simple-to-follow code that I could adapt for my own use?

    As you can probably tell, I am relatively new to this.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    11

    Re: Linking Access DBs to Websites using PHP

    Originally posted by MarkNewman
    What's the easiest way to link an Access DB to a Website using PHP? I want to generate approx 5,000 dynamic Web pages using the content from the DB and also let my Website's users search the DB.

    Can anyone point me towards some simple-to-follow code that I could adapt for my own use?

    As you can probably tell, I am relatively new to this.

    Thanks in advance.
    Hey,
    think a little more information is needed. Is everything you're trying to do windows based? If so, then the best way to go probably is to ODBC and create a DSN (probably system) pointing to your access database.

    You can then use PHP's built in ODBC functions to do your data query/manipulation.

    http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ref.odbc.php

    http://php.weblogs.com/odbc <- try that... there are better ones i've seen, but at work and dont have much time to search... have fun.

    another (better i think) link: http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials/61/0.php
    Last edited by rweston002; 01-08-04 at 15:31.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3

    Re: Linking Access DBs to Websites using PHP

    Thanks, Randy. Very useful links, however I should have added that I am running RedHat Linux 7.3, my Web server is Apache 1.3.27 and my DB server is MySQL 3.23.56. Any further pointers gratefully received!

    Cheers,
    Mark

    Originally posted by rweston002
    Hey,
    think a little more information is needed. Is everything you're trying to do windows based? If so, then the best way to go probably is to ODBC and create a DSN (probably system) pointing to your access database.

    You can then use PHP's built in ODBC functions to do your data query/manipulation.

    http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ref.odbc.php

    http://php.weblogs.com/odbc <- try that... there are better ones i've seen, but at work and dont have much time to search... have fun.

    another (better i think) link: http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials/61/0.php

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    11

    Re: Linking Access DBs to Websites using PHP

    Originally posted by MarkNewman
    Thanks, Randy. Very useful links, however I should have added that I am running RedHat Linux 7.3, my Web server is Apache 1.3.27 and my DB server is MySQL 3.23.56. Any further pointers gratefully received!

    Cheers,
    Mark
    Hey, so, you wanna use MySQL along with an Access Database?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3

    Re: Linking Access DBs to Websites using PHP

    Yes, I think's that probably the best solution. A slight change from my original request!

    Originally posted by rweston002
    Hey, so, you wanna use MySQL along with an Access Database?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3

    Re: Linking Access DBs to Websites using PHP

    First find a cute access script for converting the access database to Mysql. Then use mysql connection functions native to php.
    Or use MYODBC and make an ODBC connection to the mysql datbase if you like odbc commands.

    GoodLuck




    Ron

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •