Thread: I need help

Unanswered: I need help

I have a dos paradox database
    I want to retrive the data from it by any means!

can any body help me?

What tools do you have to work with?
    You can use a Paradox ODBC driver from another application to link to your data. I would try it with Visual FoxPro, but I'm guessing Access or Delphi would also work.
    DSummZZZ

Even more Fox stuff at
    www.davesummers.net/foxprolinks.htm

Hi mwjawish,

You can easily import Paradox files into an Access database. If you find there are difficulties doing this into Access 2000 or Access XP, then you will have no problem if you use Access 98 or earlier.

In access, open a new database, select tables, select File in the Menu Bar, select Get External Data, select Import. Then choose Paradox as the file type. Then find your Paradox file.
    taxes

Re: I need help

I did try MS access2002 but it couldn't read it because it is an old version of Paradox> on the other hand the database is self generated via a dos progam...not generated via a programming environment or a standard application>>

does this kind of Paradox (i think it is some thing like paradox 1 or 2 )connect to Office 95?

Hi,
    MS Access 2000 onwards does have trouble in importing some tables from DOS environment databases. The error message usually says something like "Search key not found". You should be able to import such tables directly into Access 98 or earlier and then import them from there into Access 2000 or later. I have not actually tried this method with Paradox but it works with dBaseIII Plus, which was the complete programming system which all others (Paradox in particular) tried to emulate before windows structures became the rage. Sometimes my dBaseIII Plus table files become unrecognisable to the program which created them but I can still import them into Access 97 and then Append ( i.e. Import) them back into dBaseIII Plus where they work perfectly!!! To be sure of what you are actually using, it is best to import them into, in your case, Access95 using a computor with no later version of Access installed and then import them into Access 2000 from a transportable medium, e.g. floppy or Zip disk.

Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.
    taxes