Thread: Data import

Unanswered: Data import

I am importing data from text files nightly and I am wondering if there is a way to have SQL recognize whether the text file has been updated before the job runs. The text files come over from our Unix box and every once in a while the transfer fails, so when this happens I don't want the SQL jobs to run because I just get duplicate data and not updated data. I don't know if this is possible, but I am just wondering. Thanks.

Are you saying that if the process fails, the old files still exist. Do the filenames change - and what about date/time for the files ? Also, what would happen if you deleted or moved the files when you had successfully imported the data ? And what are you using now to import the data ?

Yes, the files are overwritten nightly. I am using a DTS package to import from the textfile. I thought about just deleting the files after the import, then the jobs would just fail if no files were there, but I just wondered if there was a way for SQL to recognize the date on the file before running the job.

You can do either - run the dts based on file existence or on file date/time. I would add a file existence step in your dts package and a file move/delete step after the import was successful.

How would I word the existence step based on date/time? Thanks

You can create an activex script task using the filesystemobject.

Have you worked with the filesystemobject - if not I can show you an example.

Just created it and it seems to be working, but I have it setup only to see if the file exists, if it doesn't then the package fails, which is what I want. Is there a way to have it check for file date and fail if it is not correct instead of just if it exists?

You can use the File object and read the DateCreated property. You can create the File object using the GetFile method of the filesystemobject.