Unanswered: Error -881 - Desperate need of help

Hi,

I'm using Informix v7.3 and I've run into a problem that probably is a dumb one.

In a SP I declared a variable as reporte CHAR(6000). Then I performed a query, and concatenated the INTO variables with the reporte variable. But sometime after that, in the same SP I need to concatenate extra values to that variable. This happens several times throughout the whole SP.

One first attempt (and a dirty one) would be to DEFINE several variables, like var1, var2, ..., varn which would receive the contents of all the INTO variables. Since I know the data types of all INTO variables, I could DEFINE every varn to an especific size. Then, at the end, I would concatenate all into that reporte variable.

But as I said this is a dirty solution. So, in your opinion, is there a way to go "filling in the blanks"? I mean, is there a way to do a first assignment of data to the reporte variable, then calculate its lenght, then start filling with new data from (lenght + 1) position, calculate new lenght, etc.?

Thank you for your help! If you have extra questions please ask.
    Last edited by FatsGordon; 12-29-03 at 15:35.

Silly me...

I think I've solved it. The SUBSTR and the LENGTH functions did the trick. I know it was a dumb question, after all...