Question Unanswered: Why does a Query runs considerably faster than stored procedure?

I have an stored procedure that takes 23 seconds to execute. However, the same query is executed in 4 seconds.

All the tests where made using the Query Analizer.

What could be wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Check the execution plans for both and compare the differences.
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

It would help us considerably to see the code...
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Re: Why does a Query runs considerably faster than stored procedure?

Originally posted by EMoscosoCam
    I have an stored procedure that takes 23 seconds to execute. However, the same query is executed in 4 seconds.

All the tests where made using the Query Analizer.

What could be wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    If you try the same query in sp - it will take the same time - problem is in parameters (check plan).

Exclamation

In many DBMSes, a stored procedure can run considerably slower than a query because often stored-proc execution is serialized while queries run more in parallel. Some stored-proc interpreters I've run across are also buckets-o-bolts.

My general philosophy is that the server ought to receive only requests that are "lean and mean," and executing a stored-proc doesn't fall into that category. Let it be given a load consisting of fairly straightforward queries that don't involve a lot of tables and don't return huge result-sets. Let the other computers in the workplace or in the server-farm do more of the work. You'll get a lot more mileage out of your hardware...
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Not this debate again.....
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

If there have been significant changes to the data (either added/deleted, indexes...) - you need to recompile the stored procedure.

Provided Answers: 1
    I had this problem, but more severe, on my system.

I found that the optimizer was using parallel processing when the process was run through query analyzer, but did not use parallel processing when run as a stored procedure. I was never able to pin down why, but the statement was very complicated and involved lots of subqueries. By spinning off one critical subquery as a separate statement that stored results in a temporary table I was then able to link the results back into the original query, and the optimizer resumed using parallel processing again.

blindman

I am having the same problem...I have recompiled and it did nothing. I have read in several places that it is probably from a bad cached plan but recompiling should fix that, right? Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Can you post the sproc?

Also, how did you test it? Are there any parameters?
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

I ran the sp in QA and then copied the query in QA and ran it. The sp took 23 seconds and the query took a split second. I also run the sp in my VB app and it takes the same time, I run the query in the same app and it takes 1 second. The execution plans were very different...The sp used table scans and hashes like crazy...The query did not. It is a pretty large query with a cursor. Not allowed to post the query...

Provided Answers: 11
    The developer is too embarrassed about using the cursor? ;-)

See if you can achieve the same result without the cursor, Jill. In my experience a lot of bad performance can be traced back to a cursor. Good luck.

I am not a fan of cursors either. I am in the works of making this free of cursors but I am more concerned about the performance of a sp compared to a query...It makes me want to see what other sp's are doing this. I'll see if any of our non-cursor sp's are having the same problem...

I just recreated the sp and made it cursor free. I ran the sp in QA and it took 6 seconds. Ran the query in QA and it took a fraction of a second...Grrr. 6 seconds is better than 24 but I still want to know why the query is better than the sp...

PS - I replaced the cursor with a local temp table.