Unanswered: Advice on what to learn ?

With regards to having problems with a form (see my 1st post) it seems you would be best learning visual basic. I allready know sql from using it on my website with php ?

So do you reckon this would be the best action or is access's use of visual basic different ? and where is the best place to start ?

Thanks

JD

JD,

Microsoft Office VBA and VB are essentially the same. There are some minor differences in the properties of controls and forms but nothing that would prevent you from working off the knowledge you know.

With the newer versions of Microsoft Office, Access shares the same VBA editor as all of the other Office products. And the Office VBA editor looks identical to Visual Basic's editor.

One major difference between Office VBA and VB is that VB allows you to create free-standing executables without needing any prior licensing/software on the installed computer.

Most times, Microsoft Office VBA programs require the computer to have a licensed, compatible copy of the Office program you wish to run on that computer. For example, if you designed an Access database solution in VBA, the user would need that product on their machine to run it.

With the developer copy of Office, you can write a runtime version of an Access database that can be installed on a computer without having to have the Access product on that computer.

Most times however, because Microsoft Access is on so many company computers and it is relatively cheap to purchase, you can justify a good return on investment by writing a database in it when the need arises.

As far as how to learn it?

1. Developer and How-to Books
    2. Tutorial CDs
    3. Classes
    4. Experimentation

Access ships with a database called Northwind which was written as a tutorial for novice Access/VBA users.

Personally, I self-taught myself Access, using experimentation and some great developer books I purchased from the computer section of a local bookstore.

Two publishers I like are Que and Sybex but there are a lot of good developer books on Access. In addition, the Microsoft series of books is well done - many times bookstores will break up the series and you can buy MS books individually.

I would also check out the Microsoft MSDN/developer web sites as well as the Microsoft knowledge base articles which provide a plethora of information.

Another favorite of mine is google.com/microsoft which has the fully indexed list of all Microsoft related articles.

You might want to take an introductory Access class to get the hands-on experience but for programming, it's not something you normally get with intro classes. Besides that classes for programming can be pricey.

Finally, DBForums.com, as many computer forums, are a great way to learn Access/VBA because they provide a wealth of hands-on, free information and lots of real-life examples.

I you have any specific questions, feel free to post.

Joe G
    Last edited by JoeG; 12-30-03 at 15:28.

JoeG thanks for all the advice

I am currently doing a computing course but somehow they have left the studying of vb until later in the year after we have to hand in a assignment using access.

So I will have a look in the next few days for a good book and hopefully learn enough to get me through this assignment !

JD

Try the discount bookstores also. Since VB.Net and Office 11 are out, there are a lot of discounts on Office XP and Office 2k development books. 90% of the features are the same and you can save some money while learning.

Have a great New Years!

Joe G

Originally posted by JD|
    JoeG thanks for all the advice
    So I will have a look in the next few days for a good book and hopefully learn enough to get me through this assignment !
    By all means, keep your instructor in the loop as you work on your assignment. Show a dilligent effort toward completing the assigment independently and on-time, but also use him/her as a resource. I've taught many a course, given what I knew to be difficult assignments with my e-mail and phone# printed on the bottom of the page, and received nary a call until the assignment (with disappointing results) was turned in.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com