Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Tables not displaying in SQL

I am hoping someone can help me on this. I have lost the ability to see tables in one database. I can see views and have full access rights on this database. I was trying to install OLAP Analysis on my PC and suddenly I lost this capability on one of the databases I access. Any thoughts? I have looked at everything I can find trying to fix this. Have re-installed and even cleared my user and re-added. It is something on my PC alone since it also affects anyone who signs on to my box.

Provided Answers: 11
    First two questions I have are:

Is the database on a separate machine?

and

What tool are you using to look for the tables?

Originally posted by MCrowley
    First two questions I have are:

Is the database on a separate machine?

and

What tool are you using to look for the tables?
    yes the Database is on a server.
    SQL Enterprise Manager

Provided Answers: 1
    Who owns the tables, what permissions are set for them, and what login are you using? If any of these have changed, you may not have permission to view the tables.

blindman

Originally posted by blindman
    Who owns the tables, what permissions are set for them, and what login are you using? If any of these have changed, you may not have permission to view the tables.

blindman
    SA
    using my own login but if I log in as sa or someone else logs in on my machine the tables are still unavailable. I can pull them up using a view but they simply don't show in the window.

"sa" doesn't own tables. "dbo" owns the tables (most likely).

Could you have changed your login from SQL Server to NT?

Have you asked your DBA to check permissions on the tables and monitor how your login?

blindman

I should tell you I just verified that I was able to log on and see the tables from another machine. I am what passes for the DBA in my world. I can see other databases and all of their tables. This is our data warehouse database. I am supposed to have the highest level rights. As I say I am thinking perhaps it is something on my machine but uninstalling and re-installing SQL 7 did not change anything. Do you know if there is anything in the registry that might be causing this?

Log on from your machine and then check Process Activity on your server to see how your login is connecting.

Can you execute a select from the tables through Query Analyzer from your machine?

blindman

Provided Answers: 11
    Just to clear some of the usual problems. Have you tried right clicking on the tables icon in the left pane and selecting refresh? EM is notorious for needing to be refreshed manually. Also, Since you have SQL 7.0 enterprise manager on your machine, did you install Analysis Services from the same SQL 7.0 disk, or from a SQL 2000 disk? Kind of grasping at straws here...

Thanks to all for your responses.
    I used the same disk SQL 7.0. Don't feel bad I am grasping at straws too. I've been fighting with this for about 3 weeks. Yes I have refreshed and gotten the same result. I can't delete or change the database since it is our data warehouse and I really don't want to completely rebuild my pc from scratch if I don't have to do so. I have several large Access databases on it I would have to do something with. Plus several months worth of archived data. I can move it all to the server but it will mean I am out of commision for a couple of days and it's year end. I can get by for the short term with using another box to access but it is a pain and I just want to know what happened. This was my last resort. My network person and I could find nothing on tech net or the microsoft site about this kind of problem. I guess I was hoping someone might have encountered the problem and knew what to do.

to blindman;
    Can you be more precise as to the process activity and where I can find it? I am not very good on the server end of this yet. I have just started working on my MSDBA and have a lot to learn. I'm much better at ACCESS. Don't have a lot of trouble with SQL but as I say have not worked with the server itself that much.

He was referring to current activity under management. However, you say this is sql server 7 - is this sql server (oltp) or analysis server (olap) ?

Originally posted by rnealejr
    He was referring to current activity under management. However, you say this is sql server 7 - is this sql server (oltp) or analysis server (olap) ?
    This is OLTP. I am taking a course on Data Warehouse and was hoping to do some work on the OLAP Analysis. We had not had occasion to really use this type of processing before and I wanted to see what it might gain us.

Left this off:
    He was referring to current activity under management in enterprise manager.

I was asking about analysis server because in sql server 7, the sql server and analysis server are separate.

Originally posted by rnealejr
    Left this off:
    He was referring to current activity under management in enterprise manager.

I was asking about analysis server because in sql server 7, the sql server and analysis server are separate.
    Thanks for the heads up. I found where he was referring to and will try what he asked. As for what you referred to that may explain part of why I am having a problem. At any rate it definitely explains why we haven't been using any of the OLAP processes. I believe that I may have tried to access the data Warehouse database just to look at it in the OLAP. As I say I think that is what I did but I just can't seem to get my references back to the original settings. I know it is on my machine and I have uninstalled both SQL7 and OLAP and re-installed only the SQL7 but it remains the same and I am not sure why. I am just about resigned to getting thru this year end and then reloading my operating system. I just hope that will fix it.I do appreciate the suggestions and help. This is really a great source of information. I am interested in seeing what others have encountered also.

Try updating your mdac version.

License fyi - To use both sql server 7 and analysis server, you have to purchase 2 licenses (This changed with sql server 2000).